Into what kind of energy does the potential energy transforms in this example

In summary, a friend discussing the perpetual motion concept discusses how it would work and how it is not really perpetual motion as it only has an output of energy.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Talking with a friend about the perpetual motion (we both know it don't exist but don't know how to prove it) I came with the following system.
Say you have an almost empty magnet sphere. I say almost because at its center it has a little magnet such that it is repulsed by the internal walls of the sphere. If we shake the system a little bit I guess the magnet at the center of the sphere will start to oscillate. Ah I forgot to precise that there's no air into the sphere so that there is not friction in the motion of the little magnet at the sphere's center. If I didn't know that perpetual motion don't exist, I'd say the little magnet would oscillate forever. Clearly it has a potential energy and as there's no perpetual motion, this energy must convert itself into another form of energy. In this case, what would it be? (I'm pretty sure the sphere would gain energy like heat due the electronic stuff... but I didn't study this part of Physics yet so I'm just speculating).

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "perpetual motion" is a little bit of a misnomer, since via Newton's first law, an object in motion will remain in motion forever unless acted upon by an outside force. So too a hypothetical frictionless oscillation.

What is really meant when people talk about "perpetual motion" being impossible is a net output of energy from a machine that has no input.

Said magnet will radiate away some energy in the form of photons and slow down.

Thanks to both.
Ok maybe I misused the term "perpetual motion" but this wasn't my intention. :tongue:
So what would happen is that the magnet would give its potential energy to the sphere via a photon emission... Nice. I really want to study electromagnetism or quantum mechanics right now but I better wait getting there.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy that an object has due to its position, shape, or state. It has the potential to do work or cause a change in the system.

2. How does potential energy transform into other forms of energy?

Potential energy can transform into other forms of energy through various processes such as conversion, transfer, or dissipation. For example, in the case of a roller coaster, the potential energy of the coaster at the top of the hill transforms into kinetic energy as it moves down the track.

3. What is the example of potential energy transforming into kinetic energy?

One common and easy-to-understand example of potential energy transforming into kinetic energy is a pendulum. When the pendulum is at its highest point, it has maximum potential energy. As it swings down, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. Once it reaches the bottom of its swing, all of the potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy.

4. Can potential energy transform into non-mechanical forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can transform into non-mechanical forms of energy such as thermal energy, electrical energy, or chemical energy. For instance, potential energy stored in food is converted into chemical energy during digestion, and then converted into mechanical energy by the body to perform physical activities.

5. What are some real-life applications of potential energy transformation?

Potential energy transformation can be observed in various real-life scenarios such as hydroelectric power plants, wind turbines, springs, and even our own bodies. It is also used in the development of renewable energy sources and in understanding the behavior of natural phenomena like earthquakes and volcanoes.