Intrinsic coordinates kinematics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations ##a_t = \frac{dv}{dt}=-ks## and ##\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{ds}## and uses these equations to find the distance at which the velocity changes sign. The calculations lead to the conclusion that the particle is confined within an interval and moves back and forth along a curve. The physical interpretation of imaginary velocity is also discussed.
Santilopez10
Homework Statement
A particle moves along a defined curve so that its acceleration tangential component: ##a_t=-ks##, where k is a constant and s denotes the arc distance respect to a point Q.
a) Find an expression for the velocity as a function of s.
b) Supposing that at Q its velocity equals 3.6 m/s and at A (s=5.4 m) 1.8 m/s, find k and its curvature radius at A knowing that the acceleration has magnitude 3.0 m/s^2.
c) Find at which distance the particle inverts its movement.
Relevant Equations
##\vec v= v e_t##
##\vec a= a_t e_t + a_n e_n = \frac{dv}{dt} e_t + \frac {v^2}{\rho} a_n##
So I know that ##a_t = \frac{dv}{dt}=-ks## and ##\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{ds}## then: $$v dv=-ks ds \rightarrow (v(s))^2=-ks^2+c$$ and using my initial conditions it follows that: $$(3.6)^2=c \approx 13$$ and $$(1.8)^2=13-5.4k \rightarrow k=1.8 \rightarrow (v(s))^2=13-1.8s$$
What bothers me is finding at which point it turns, I am having trouble even getting started, any help would be appreciated.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it asks to find the s for which velocity changes sign that is from positive becomes negative. I guess the distance s for which ##v(s)^2=-ks^2+c=0##.

btw I think you have a mistake in the calculation of k, shouldn't it be ##(1.8)^2=13-(5.4)^2k##?

Delta2 said:
I think it asks to find the s for which velocity changes sign that is from positive becomes negative. I guess the distance s for which ##v(s)^2=-ks^2+c=0##.

btw I think you have a mistake in the calculation of k, shouldn't it be ##(1.8)^2=13-(5.4)^2k##?
You are right about my mistake! Glad you could help me. One question though, does this represent a physical situation ? Considering that when the rhs is negative square root becomes complex

Likes Delta2
Well to be honest I found it hard to answer your question, but I THINK that the physical interpretation of the imaginary velocity we get for ##s>\sqrt\frac{c}{k}## is that the particle moves through the curve in the opposite direction.

EDIT: On second thought I believe imaginary velocity means that the particle can never be there and that its movement is confined for s between ##-\sqrt\frac{c}{k}<s<+\sqrt\frac{c}{k}##

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Well to be honest I found it hard to answer your question, but I THINK that the physical interpretation of the imaginary velocity we get for ##s>\sqrt\frac{c}{k}## is that the particle moves through the curve in the opposite direction.

EDIT: On second thought I believe imaginary velocity means that the particle can never be there and that its movement is confined for s between ##-\sqrt\frac{c}{k}<s<+\sqrt\frac{c}{k}##
Maybe it could model a particle movement in an ellipse or circle.

Santilopez10 said:
Maybe it could model a particle movement in an ellipse or circle.
Maybe, we don't have any information about the normal force so we don't know what curve shape it is and whether it is a closed curve. However i believe that is not the point here. The point is that the particle is restricted within an interval. Like a particle that is restricted within a semi circle or a semi ellipse and moves back and forth.

To prove this, using the definition of acceleration ##a=\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=-ks## and solving for s(t) we find that s(t) is sinusoidal. So indeed the particle moves back and forth (along a curve not necessarily in a straight line).

Last edited:
Likes Santilopez10

1. What are intrinsic coordinates in kinematics?

Intrinsic coordinates in kinematics refer to the coordinates that are used to describe the motion of an object in relation to its own reference frame. This means that the coordinates are measured from the perspective of the object itself, rather than from an external reference frame.

2. How are intrinsic coordinates used in kinematics problems?

Intrinsic coordinates are used in kinematics problems to simplify the analysis of an object's motion. By using coordinates that are relative to the object's own reference frame, it becomes easier to describe and calculate its motion without the need for complex external reference frames.

3. What is the difference between intrinsic coordinates and extrinsic coordinates in kinematics?

The main difference between intrinsic and extrinsic coordinates in kinematics is the reference frame from which they are measured. Intrinsic coordinates are measured from the perspective of the object itself, while extrinsic coordinates are measured from an external reference frame, such as a fixed point or another object.

4. Can intrinsic coordinates be used for all types of motion?

Yes, intrinsic coordinates can be used for all types of motion. They are particularly useful for rotational motion, as they allow for a simpler analysis of an object's rotation around its own axis.

5. How do you convert between intrinsic and extrinsic coordinates in kinematics?

To convert between intrinsic and extrinsic coordinates in kinematics, you can use transformation equations that relate the two coordinate systems. These equations depend on the orientation and position of the object's reference frame relative to the external reference frame.