Intrinsic definition on a manifold

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of defining the length of a vector in a manifold and the issue of finding a definition that is independent of the chosen coordinate system. The participants also discuss the difference between a vector field and a tangent space, and the challenges of comparing tangents on a locally Euclidean manifold.
kiuhnm
I'm reading "The Geometry of Physics" by Frankel. Exercise 1.3(1) asks what would be wrong in defining ##||X||## in an ##M^n## by
$$||X||^2 = \sum_j (X_U^j)^2$$ The only problem I can see is that that definition is not independent of the chosen coordinate systems and thus not intrinsic to ##M^n##. Is there anything else I'm missing?

BTW, I'm not sure this is Differential Geometry... Is this Topology?

Physics news on Phys.org
kiuhnm said:
The only problem I can see is that that definition is not independent of the chosen coordinate systems and thus not intrinsic to MnMnM^n. Is there anything else I'm missing?
Is that not enough?

Likes kiuhnm
Orodruin said:
Is that not enough?

Don't get mad. I just wanted to be sure. I'm learning this stuff on my own so I can have doubts from time to time :)

kiuhnm said:
I'm reading "The Geometry of Physics" by Frankel. Exercise 1.3(1) asks what would be wrong in defining ##||X||## in an ##M^n## by
$$||X||^2 = \sum_j (X_U^j)^2$$ The only problem I can see is that that definition is not independent of the chosen coordinate systems and thus not intrinsic to ##M^n##. Is there anything else I'm missing?

BTW, I'm not sure this is Differential Geometry... Is this Topology?
It's always a bit of both, but as we measure lengths, it is more geometric than topological.

And, yes, as there is no natural way to choose a chart, we want to have a definition which is independent of the chart. This is always the basic principle: Pull it down into the reals (or complex), do what has to be done, and lift it up again. This way we stay as general as possible on the choices of manifolds, but are still able to do calculus and geometry. The costs are: it can only locally be done and the difficulties will start, if we want to compare two different local events, e.g. tangents.

Likes kiuhnm
kiuhnm said:
Don't get mad.
I'm not mad, it was an honest question.

Orodruin said:
I'm not mad, it was an honest question.

I was joking. I interpreted your reply as "That's more than enough".

fresh_42 said:
It's always a bit of both, but as we measure lengths, it is more geometric than topological.

And, yes, as there is no natural way to choose a chart, we want to have a definition which is independent of the chart. This is always the basic principle: Pull it down into the reals (or complex), do what has to be done, and lift it up again. This way we stay as general as possible on the choices of manifolds, but are still able to do calculus and geometry. The costs are: it can only locally be done and the difficulties will start, if we want to compare two different local events, e.g. tangents.

I'm still reading chapter 1 of that book. For now I know that the (tangent) vectors are all the vectors that transform as $$X = \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} Y,$$ where ##X## and ##Y## are the same vector expressed in the ##(x_i)## and ##(y_i)## coordinate systems, respectively. That's only required (and makes sense) when two patches ##(U,x)## and ##(V,y)## overlap, of course. That's what I understood.

kiuhnm said:
I'm still reading chapter 1 of that book. For now I know that the (tangent) vectors are all the vectors that transform as $$X = \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} Y,$$ where ##X## and ##Y## are the same vector expressed in the ##(x_i)## and ##(y_i)## coordinate systems, respectively. That's only required (and makes sense) when two patches ##(U,x)## and ##(V,y)## overlap, of course. That's what I understood.
Yes, but there is a difference between
$$X = \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} Y \text{ and }X_p = \left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right|_p Y$$
The first is a vector field ##\{\,(p,X_p)\,|\,p\in M\,\}## and the second a tangent space ##X_p##. Now if we have two tangents ##X_p## and ##X_q## we cannot compare them automatically, as ##p## and ##q## might not be covered by the same charts. That's were the consequences of "locally Euclidean" comes into play. There is no "global" anymore. Imagine our manifold is the surface of Mars. Then all we have are the charts given by some orbiters. We cannot simply walk from one point to the next - we have to attach our charts.

Likes kiuhnm
fresh_42 said:
$$X = \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} Y \text{ and }X_p = \left.\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right|_p Y$$
The first is a vector field ##\{\,(p,X_p)\,|\,p\in M\,\}## and the second a tangent space ##X_p##. Now if we have two tangents ##X_p## and ##X_q## .

Tangent vectors ## X_p, X_q ##?

fresh_42 said:
The first is a vector field ##\{\,(p,X_p)\,|\,p\in M\,\}## and the second a tangent space ##X_p##. Now if we have two tangents ##X_p## and ##X_q## we cannot compare them automatically, as ##p## and ##q## might not be covered by the same charts. That's were the consequences of "locally Euclidean" comes into play. There is no "global" anymore. Imagine our manifold is the surface of Mars. Then all we have are the charts given by some orbiters. We cannot simply walk from one point to the next - we have to attach our charts.

I was being sloppy (just like the book) and fixing ##p##, so my ##X## was really a ##X_p##. In my notation, ##X_p## is a (tangent) vector and ##M^n_p## is the tangent space, if ##M^n## is the ##n##-dimensional manifold.

What is a manifold?

A manifold is a geometric space that locally resembles Euclidean space. It is a topological space that is smooth and has a well-defined notion of distance and direction. In other words, it is a space that can be described by coordinates and functions.

What is an intrinsic definition?

An intrinsic definition is one that does not rely on any external reference frame or coordinate system. It is a definition that is based solely on the properties of the object being defined, rather than its relation to other objects.

What does intrinsic definition on a manifold mean?

Intrinsic definition on a manifold means defining the properties or characteristics of a manifold without relying on any external reference frame or coordinate system. It is a way of describing the geometric properties of a manifold without reference to any particular embedding space.

Why is intrinsic definition important in studying manifolds?

Intrinsic definition is important in studying manifolds because it allows for a more general and abstract understanding of these spaces. It enables mathematicians to study manifolds without being constrained by a specific coordinate system or embedding space, and to focus on the intrinsic properties and relationships of the manifold itself.

How is intrinsic definition used in practical applications?

Intrinsic definition on a manifold is used in practical applications such as physics, computer graphics, and robotics. It allows for the development of algorithms and techniques that are independent of a specific coordinate system, making them applicable in a wide range of scenarios.