Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem

In summary, the problem requires finding a matrix with specific row and column sums, which can be represented by a system of equations. The solution to the problem is dependent on the value of x, which can be solved by reducing the system to triangular form. Once x is determined, the remaining variables can be solved for, resulting in infinitely many solutions for the matrix.
brushman
Homework Statement
Look for a matrix that has row sums 4 and 8, and column sums 2 and x:

matrix =
[a, b] -------I don't know how to do latex
[c, d]

a + b = 4; a + c = 2;
c + d = 8; b + d = s;

The four equations are solvable only if s = ____. Then find two different matrices that have the correct row and column sums. Write down the 4 by 4 system Ax = b with x = (a, b, c, d) and make A triangular by elimination.

Attempt at a solution:

I created a matrix from the system of equations given. I started with:

[1 1 0 0 4]
[0 0 1 1 8]
[1 0 1 0 2]
[0 1 0 1 s]

-->[1 1 0 0 4]
[0 -1 1 0 -2]
[0 0 1 1 8]
[0 0 1 1 (s-2)]

-->

[1 1 0 0 4]
[0 -1 1 0 -2]
[0 0 1 1 8]
[0 0 0 0 (s-10)]

So I got s = 10.
I can't solve for a, b, c, or d (or can I?)

What am I not understanding and how do I do this problem? Thanks.

edit: Thanks LCKurtz, I got it now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brushman said:
Homework Statement
Look for a matrix that has row sums 4 and 8, and column sums 2 and x:

matrix =
[a, b] -------I don't know how to do latex
[c, d]

a + b = 4; a + c = 2;
c + d = 8; b + d = s;

The four equations are solvable only if s = ____. Then find two different matrices that have the correct row and column sums. Write down the 4 by 4 system Ax = b with x = (a, b, c, d) and make A triangular by elimination.

Attempt at a solution:

I created a matrix from the system of equations given. I started with:

[1 1 0 0 4]
[0 0 1 1 8]
[1 0 1 0 2]
[0 1 0 1 s]

-->

[1 1 0 0 4]
[0 -1 1 0 -2]
[0 0 1 1 8]
[0 0 1 1 (s-2)]

-->

[1 1 0 0 4]
[0 -1 1 0 -2]
[0 0 1 1 8]
[0 0 0 0 (s-10)]

So I got s = 10.
I can't solve for a, b, c, or d (or can I?)

What am I not understanding and how do I do this problem? Thanks.

Sure you can solve for them. Once you assign s =10, the last equation becomes dependent on the others. You have more variables than equations so you would expect infinitely many solutions. Let d = d (anything) and solve for the others in terms of d by working back up the system. For example your third equation says c + d = 8 so c = 8 - d. So b = ... etc. Make sure you don't have an arithmetic mistake in your reduction (I think you do.) Once you have a, b, and c in terms of d, check that they work in your system and you can continue with the problem.

1. What is the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem"?

The "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem" is a fundamental problem in linear algebra that involves using a systematic process called Gaussian elimination to solve systems of linear equations. This process involves performing elementary row operations on a matrix to transform it into an equivalent matrix in reduced row-echelon form, which can then be used to find the solutions to the system of equations.

2. Why is the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem" important?

The "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem" is important because it is used in a wide range of applications, from solving systems of equations in physics and engineering to analyzing data in statistics and machine learning. It is also a fundamental concept in linear algebra, which is a crucial branch of mathematics used in many fields.

3. What are the steps involved in solving the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem"?

The steps involved in solving the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem" are: 1. Write the system of linear equations in matrix form.2. Perform elementary row operations on the matrix to transform it into an equivalent matrix in reduced row-echelon form.3. Use the reduced row-echelon form to find the solutions to the system of equations.

4. What are some common challenges encountered when solving the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem"?

Some common challenges encountered when solving the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem" include:- Dealing with fractions or decimals in the matrix, which can make the calculations more complex.- Keeping track of the row operations performed on the matrix, especially when there are multiple variables and equations involved.- Determining whether the system of equations has a unique solution, infinite solutions, or no solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem"?

To improve your skills in solving the "Intro Lin Alg Elimination problem", you can:- Practice solving different types of systems of equations using Gaussian elimination.- Familiarize yourself with the different types of row operations and how they affect the matrix.- Learn how to interpret the reduced row-echelon form of a matrix to find the solutions to the system of equations.- Work on real-world applications of linear algebra to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.