Intro Logic Books (differences between Peter Smith, J.J. Smith and P.Teller)

In summary, there are three recommended books for starting with FOL: A Modern Formal Logic Primer by Teller, An Introduction to Formal Logic by P. Smith, and Logic: The Laws of Truth by J.J. Smith. The first book is written in a terse and easy-to-understand style, making it a good choice for beginners. However, for a more comprehensive understanding, it is recommended to also go through another book with similar coverage. The second book may take longer to read due to its length, but it is also an easy read. It is important to note that logic can be difficult to internalize, so taking notes while learning is recommended for better retention.
renkov
I want to get started with FOL and decided to get through some very basic book first.
Currently looking at:
A Modern Formal Logic Primer - Teller
An Introduction to Formal Logic - P.Smith
Logic: The Laws of Truth -
J.J. Smith

These 3 books are frequently recommended I just don't know which one is more appropriate for someone who already have read Lang's Basic Mathematics and gone through some basic Calculus.
Is some of these more math oriented or I should just pick whatever?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
renkov said:
I want to get started with FOL and decided to get through some very basic book first.
Currently looking at:
A Modern Formal Logic Primer - Teller
An Introduction to Formal Logic - P.Smith
Logic: The Laws of Truth -
J.J. Smith

I guess I can give an (incomplete) opinion on this. I haven't heard about the third book.

I have gone through the first-half of the first book in quote (that was more than 5 years ago). It is written in a terse and easy to understand style, so I think that might be good for a first one. I think I should have gone through the second-half of book too (which I didn't), since I stopped reading on first sign of difficulty. This wasn't a good idea I think because all the other introduction of predicate logic that I have tried to go through (since then) seem to be harder than one in this book (and hence I had to stop reading).

But I think due to brevity for a more comprehensive coverage one would definitely need to cover at least one more book with similar title (but somewhat more advanced coverage). For a first pass, the book above should be fine. Another good book similar to first one is http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytbu/forallxcam.pdf, which I found recently. The coverage is, again, slightly terse.

The second book (in quote) is also probably an easy read (easier compared to many other books with similar title). But I think it might have a lot of text. You would probably need to take significantly more time to read.

So both of the first two books should be fine I think (both seem to be introductory books on similar level). It partly depends on how much time you want to spend.

==========================

I do think I should mention one thing. I feel that logic can be a bit difficult to internalize (perhaps unless you keep at it continuously for a long time?). Maybe this is true for lot of other topics too.

That's why it might be a good idea to make notes while learning (from any book). Otherwise there is a good chance that one would forget it very fast. At least that was the case for me (my retention isn't good). I think I forgot what I learned (five years ago) pretty fast (even when I did all the exercises etc.). With notes at least I would know that I could get back to remembering things much quicker.

What are the main differences between Peter Smith, J.J. Smith, and P.Teller's intro logic books?

The main differences between these three authors' intro logic books lie in their approach, style, and content. Peter Smith's book, An Introduction to Formal Logic, is known for its comprehensive coverage of formal logic systems and its emphasis on mathematical techniques. J.J. Smith's Logic: The Basics takes a more conceptual approach, focusing on the fundamental principles and applications of logic. P.Teller's Modern Formal Logic is known for its clear and concise presentation of formal logic concepts and its use of real-world examples.

Which of these intro logic books is best for beginners?

For beginners, J.J. Smith's Logic: The Basics may be the most suitable option. Its conceptual approach and accessible writing style make it easier for readers to grasp the fundamental concepts of logic without getting overwhelmed by technical details.

Which intro logic book is most suitable for advanced readers?

For advanced readers, Peter Smith's An Introduction to Formal Logic may be the most appropriate choice. Its comprehensive coverage of formal logic systems and mathematical techniques make it a valuable resource for those looking to delve deeper into the subject.

Do these intro logic books cover the same topics?

While all three books cover the fundamental principles of logic, they may differ in the specific topics they cover. For example, J.J. Smith's Logic: The Basics may focus more on the history and philosophical aspects of logic, while P.Teller's Modern Formal Logic may have a stronger emphasis on applications of logic in fields such as computer science and linguistics.

Are these intro logic books suitable for self-study?

Yes, all three books are suitable for self-study. However, the level of difficulty and the amount of prior knowledge required may vary. Beginners may find J.J. Smith's Logic: The Basics to be the most approachable, while more advanced readers may benefit from Peter Smith's An Introduction to Formal Logic or P.Teller's Modern Formal Logic depending on their specific interests and goals.