Intro Quantum: Expanding infinite square well

In summary, the problem involves a particle in the ground state of an infinite square well that suddenly expands to twice its original size, with the energy of the particle being measured. The wave function at t=0 is given by √(2/a)sin(πx/a), and the most probable result for the energy is calculated using the probability formula |cn|^2. The correct integration bounds for calculating cn in this problem is [0,a] rather than [0,2a].
camron_m21

Homework Statement

Griffiths Intro to Quantum, problem 2.38:
A particle of mass m is in the ground state of the infinite square well. Suddenly the well expands to twice its original size: the right wall moving from a to 2a, leaving the wave function (momentarily) undisturbed. The energy of the particle is now measured.

Homework Equations

[tex]c_{n} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\int^{a}_{0} sin(\frac{n\pi}{a} x) \Psi (x,0) dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the particle starts out in the ground state in a well of length a, at t=0 (right when the well expands) the wave function should be

[tex]\Psi (x,0) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin\left( \frac{\pi x}{a} \right)[/tex]

I know this can be written as a sum of the new wave functions,

[tex]\Psi[/tex](x,0) = [tex]\sum c_{n} \psi_{n} (x)[/tex]

The problem wants the most probable result of measuring the energy, as well as the next most probable. For this, I was thinking of using [tex]|c_{n}|^{2} [/tex] as the probability of getting an energy. However, when I do this, I get pi times an integer as the argument for the sine in the answer, which gives me zero.

I'm mostly just at a loss on how to start on this, so any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure what I need to calculate to find the most and next most probable energies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Scratch that, I figured it out. For anyone else stuck on this, calculate [tex]c_{n}[/tex] the regular way, but use [0,a] for the integration bounds rather than [0,2a], since the initial function at t=0 is 0 for x > a.

Are you using your expression for cn above? It's not quite correct for this particular problem because it's using the eigenstates for the original well, not the expanded well.

Yeah, sorry about that, that was just the formula for the general infinite square well. The formula I used replaces a with 2a, except in the t=0 function.

Firstly, it is important to note that when the well expands, the energy of the particle will still be quantized and will depend on the new length of the well, 2a. This means that the energy levels will now be given by E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2m(2a)^2}.

To find the most probable energy, we need to calculate the coefficients c_n for the new wave functions. As you mentioned, these coefficients can be calculated using the formula c_{n} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\int^{2a}_{0} sin(\frac{n\pi}{2a} x) \Psi (x,0) dx. Plugging in the given wave function, we get c_{n} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\int^{2a}_{0} sin(\frac{n\pi}{2a} x) \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin\left( \frac{\pi x}{a} \right) dx.

Simplifying this expression, we get c_{n} = \frac{1}{2}\int^{2a}_{0} sin(\frac{\pi x}{2a}) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a}) dx. Using the trigonometric identity sin(a)sin(b) = \frac{1}{2}(cos(a-b) - cos(a+b)), we can rewrite this as c_{n} = \frac{1}{2}\int^{2a}_{0} \left(cos(\frac{\pi x}{2a} - \frac{n\pi x}{a}) - cos(\frac{\pi x}{2a} + \frac{n\pi x}{a}) \right) dx.

Integrating this expression, we get c_{n} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}sin(\frac{\pi}{2} - n\pi) - \frac{2a}{\pi}sin(\frac{\pi}{2} + n\pi) \right). Since sin(\frac{\pi}{2} - n\pi) = (-1)^n and sin(\frac{\pi}{2} + n\pi) = (-1)^{n+1}, we can simplify this to c_{n} = \frac{

1. What is an infinite square well potential?

An infinite square well potential is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that describes a potential energy function with infinitely high walls and a finite width. This potential is often used to model the behavior of a particle confined to a certain region.

2. How does the infinite square well potential affect the behavior of a particle?

The infinite square well potential creates a finite region in which the particle can exist. The walls of the well act as barriers, preventing the particle from escaping. This results in the particle having discrete energy levels and restricted motion within the well.

3. What is the significance of expanding the infinite square well potential?

Expanding the infinite square well potential allows for the exploration of different scenarios and boundary conditions, providing insights into the behavior of quantum systems. It also helps to better understand the effects of confinement and how it affects the energy levels and wavefunctions of particles.

4. How does the expansion of the infinite square well potential affect the energy levels of a particle?

The energy levels of a particle in an expanded infinite square well potential are higher compared to those in a standard infinite square well potential. This is due to the increased size of the well, allowing for more possible states and energy levels for the particle to occupy.

5. Can the infinite square well potential be used to model real-world systems?

While the infinite square well potential is a useful theoretical concept, it cannot fully represent real-world systems. This is because it does not take into account other factors such as interactions with other particles or the effects of external forces. However, it can provide valuable insights and approximations for certain systems.