1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Analysis (Differentiation)

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove or disprove:
    Suppose f:[a,b]->R is continuous. If f is diff on interval (a,b) and f'(x) has a limit at b, then f is diff at b.

2. Relevant equations

We say that f is differentiable at x0 to mean that there exists a number A such that:
    f(x)=f(x0)+A(x-x0)+REM
    where,
    lim(x->x0) REM(x)/(x-x0) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

We will prove f is diff at b by showing that that there exists a number A so that f(x)=f(b)+A(x-b)+REM
    so,
    lim(x->x0) REM(x)/(x-b) = 0

I have gotten good at normal proofs in this course and am very confused on how to build proofs with this diff theorem. I know that this is true, but am confused how to fashion the plan and how to start the proof. How do I establish the existence of an A that satisfies this?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write a difference quotient for f'(b) and use the Mean Value Theorem. That works, doesn't it?

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    Hmm. How would I go about doing that? I know by the mean value theorem there is a c in (a,b) that is satisfied by f'(c)=f(b)-f(a)/b-a but how can I show that since f'(c) exists f'(b) exists since it is not for every c in the interval?

5. Apr 24, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f'(b)=limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x). There is a c such that f'(c) equals that quotient in (x,b).

6. Apr 24, 2012 #5
    So I can say that because f'(x) has a limit at b the function limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=f'(b)?

So a proof would go something like:

We will prove f is diff at b by showing that f'(b)=f'(b)=limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x).

Since f'(x) has a limit at b, we know limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=f'(b).

Thus, we know that the function is diff. at b.

7. Apr 25, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to mention the mean value theorem and show where you used it.

8. Apr 25, 2012 #7
    Alright I have been working on this proof all dayish trying to get everything work out right.

I have for my plan:

Suppose x<c<b

We will prove f'(c) has a limit m at b by showing that for every ε>0 there exists an δ>0 so that for every x in (a,b) 0<abs(x-b)<δ where abs(f'(c)-m)<ε.

Consider ε>0 arb.
    Since by the mean value theorem and the def of derivative we know that limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=lim c->b (f'(c)) and (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a)=f'(c) as a<x<c<b. We know that there is a δ that satisfies this. Choose such a δ.

Consider x in (a,b) arb.

for such an x,

abs(f'(c)-m))....

Then I don't know how to build that final inequality to make it work.

Any suggestions?

9. Apr 25, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need epsilons or deltas. You know f'(b)=limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x). The MVT tells you that there is a c(x) in (x,b) such that f'(c(x))=(f(b)-f(x))/(b-x). As x->b it must be that c(x)->b. Since you know f'(c(x)) approaches a limit as c(x)->b doesn't that tell you the difference quotient must have a limit?

10. Apr 26, 2012 #9
    May be a dumb question but we know there is a limit at b, but trying to say if it is differentiable. How can we make the leap that there is a limit at b to that it is differentiable at b?

I am following all of your logic (hopefully!) but that is the part I am hung up about. Thanks!

11. Apr 27, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the limit of the difference quotient exists then f(x) is differentiable at b. At least, it has a one sided derivative. There's not much you can say about the other side because f is only defined on [a,b].

12. Apr 27, 2012 #11
    I feel like disproving it. Take [itex]\displaystyle f\left(x\right)=\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]. Take a = -1, b = 0. Is it differentiable on (-1,0)? Yes. Note that it's open. Is it continuous? Yes. f'(a) as a->0 does have a limit, -∞. (Yes, this is considered a limit.) But ... it's not differentiable at 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook