Intro to Quantum Mechanics - Formalism normalisation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of i/sqrt(2) for normalizing c1 and why it is a complex number. It is revealed that the relationship c1 = ic0 is necessary for solving the problem and that the exponential can also be interpreted as i.
Graham87
Homework Statement
See pic
Relevant Equations
See pic
I can't figure out how they get i/sqrt(2) for normalisation of c1. Why is it a complex number? If I normalise c1 I just get 1/sqrt(2) because i disappears in the absolute value squared.

Thanks

1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you left out other information from the problem, but apparently, there was the relation ##c_1 = i c_0##. That's where the ##i## comes from. Note that you had to have this relationship to solve for ##c_0##
otherwise you'd have two unknowns but only one equation.

Likes topsquark and Graham87
vela said:
It looks like you left out other information from the problem, but apparently, there was the relation ##c_1 = i c_0##. That's where the ##i## comes from. Note that you had to have this relationship to solve for ##c_0##
otherwise you'd have two unknowns but only one equation.

There was this relation:

1.png

Aha, so the exponential is also interpreted as i then. Thanks, got it!

##e^{i\pi/2}= \cos (\pi/2) + i \sin(\pi/2) = i##
##e^{iv}= \cos (v) + i \sin(v) ##

Likes SammyS, topsquark and Graham87

1. What is the formalism of quantum mechanics?

The formalism of quantum mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It includes concepts such as wavefunctions, operators, and observables, and allows for the prediction of the probability of outcomes for quantum systems.

2. What is normalisation in quantum mechanics?

Normalisation is a mathematical requirement in quantum mechanics that ensures the total probability of all possible outcomes for a quantum system adds up to 1. This is achieved by normalising the wavefunction, which represents the state of the system, through a mathematical process called integration.

3. Why is normalisation important in quantum mechanics?

Normalisation is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures the consistency and accuracy of predictions made by the theory. Without normalisation, the total probability of all possible outcomes may not add up to 1, leading to incorrect predictions and violating the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. How is normalisation achieved in quantum mechanics?

Normalisation is achieved by integrating the square of the wavefunction over all possible values of the system's variables. This ensures that the total probability of all possible outcomes is equal to 1. The normalisation constant, also known as the normalisation factor, is then used to scale the wavefunction accordingly.

5. What are the consequences of not normalising in quantum mechanics?

If the wavefunction is not normalised in quantum mechanics, it can lead to incorrect predictions and violate the principles of the theory. This can result in the violation of the conservation of probability, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. Additionally, not normalising can lead to inconsistencies and inaccuracies in the results of experiments and calculations.