In summary, the article discusses how pilots will need to use different control inputs in addition to sticks and rudder in order to avoid collisions while using digital instruments.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Like many others, I have been seeking new and fun things to do during a pandemic.   I decided on the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, but the Condor 2 Soaring Simulator is my intermediate step.  I am certified as a pilot, including gliders, but I have not flown for many years because of the expense.   These simulators will allow me to join much of the fun and to greatly increase my skills, while semi-quarantined.
Of course, physics is vitally important to all pilots, but in a glider, it is more so.  Much more so.   Especially cross-country racing in a glider requires extensive knowledge of physics and use of mathematics.  As an engineer, I am also interested in the design of the instruments and procedures as well as their use.   What I discovered after some brief research is that the use of air pressure in aircraft avionics is a topic including the old and new, the smart and dumb, man versus machine, as well as the universal engineering qualities common to any instrument:  ...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jrmichler, Filip Larsen, Lnewqban and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
An excellent summary on instrumentation and more.
Thank you!

worth reading, thank you!

Here's a view of a more modern instrument cluster. Airspeed is the only purely pneumatic analog instrument remaining.

In addition to the functions described in the article, collision avoidance is an important new addition. Compare that to TCAS collision avoidance in airliners.

1601556190969.png

With all this digital stuff, a totally new control input device is needed in addition to stick and rudder; a mouse. The picture shows the built-in mouse for use by the pilot.

1601556343841.png
Not shown is a spot satnav device that attaches to the pilot's parachute. It has an emergency SOS button, and also a button to send texts to your friends saying, "I'm OK" or "I landed at GPS coordinates X,Y, please come with the car and the trailer. That's wonderful when out of cell phone or VHF radio range.
1601556922394.png

By the way, the idea of having a device that sends prearranged messages at the push of a button was invented by Thomas Edison. For example, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up." Edison's device had 10 possible messages, so Edison also invented the device below to make it easy for untrained customers to use. I love the idea that a satnav device still uses Edison's invention.

1601556833863.png

Likes jim mcnamara and Lnewqban

1. What is a Pitot-Static System?

A Pitot-Static System is a type of airspeed indicator used in gliders to measure the speed at which the glider is moving through the air. It consists of two parts: the Pitot tube, which measures the impact pressure of the air, and the static port, which measures the ambient air pressure. These two measurements are used to calculate the airspeed of the glider.

2. How does a Pitot-Static System work?

The Pitot tube is placed on the front of the glider and is designed to face directly into the airflow. As the glider moves through the air, the Pitot tube collects the impact pressure of the air. The static port, which is usually located on the side of the glider, measures the ambient air pressure. The difference between these two pressures is used to calculate the airspeed of the glider.

3. Why is a Pitot-Static System important in gliders?

A Pitot-Static System is important in gliders because it provides pilots with accurate and reliable airspeed information. This information is crucial for maintaining control of the glider and making informed decisions during flight. Without a Pitot-Static System, pilots would have to rely on other methods of determining airspeed, which may not be as accurate or reliable.

4. What are the potential problems with a Pitot-Static System?

One potential problem with a Pitot-Static System is blockage of the Pitot tube or static port. This can occur due to ice, insects, or other debris, and can result in inaccurate airspeed readings. Another potential problem is a malfunctioning or damaged Pitot tube or static port, which can also lead to inaccurate readings. It is important for pilots to regularly inspect and maintain their Pitot-Static Systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

5. How can a Pitot-Static System be tested for accuracy?

A Pitot-Static System can be tested for accuracy using a Pitot-Static tester. This device simulates different airspeeds and altitudes and compares the readings on the tester to the readings on the glider's instruments. If there is a significant difference between the two readings, the Pitot-Static System may need to be recalibrated or repaired. It is recommended to test a Pitot-Static System before every flight to ensure accurate airspeed readings.