Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to Quantum Field Theory in curved spacetime

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    Here is a draft of an introductory textbook on quantum field theory in curved spacetime - free quantum fields in expanding universe, Unruh effect, Hawking radiation, also Casimir effect and some basic stuff on path integrals and effective action. The book is not free - will be published soon....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3

Gza

[tex]
    <cos(nt)|sin(mt)> = \frac {1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}cos(nt)sin(mt) dt = 0 [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  5. Jun 1, 2007 #4
    unless n = m

6. Jun 6, 2007 #5
    explain and robphy, as usual EXCELLENT POSTS! and I am not the type that gives praises for nothing :)

I was struggling with Birrel and Davies "Quantum Fields in Curved Space" which is like trying to learn english from the phone directory lol

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  7. Feb 28, 2008 #6
    You mean that I am not the only one who found "Quantum Fields in Curved Space" difficult? I thought I was failing yet another IQ test.

8. Mar 15, 2008 #7
    I think Birrell-Davies is pretty much unreadable for a beginning graduate student. If you already have a PhD and have working knowledge of quantum field theory then you can understand Birrell-Davies with considerable effort. In my view this is the case with almost any advanced monograph. Another similar example is Hawking-Ellis "Large scale structure of spacetime" (for classical singularity theorems). The problem is that students in these subjects have only these monographs to study and no other textbooks.

9. Mar 17, 2008 #8
    Actually I had no problem with "Large scale structure of spacetime". Shows where my preferences and knowledge lie. It, and a few other books, motivated me to study differential geometry as a independent subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?