1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Bohrs Model Problem and I'm Lost

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    Introductory Bohrs Model Problem...and I'm Lost!!

Ok, so I "think" what Im trying to find here is the frequency of the energy between two states of energy. I admit that part of my problem probably lies in the fact that I'm not even sure what it is I'm trying to find. My class seems to be just speeding through this material. But this is my first science class since I dropped out of my first year of high school...so I'm probably a little behind! Anyway...

So I need to find the frequency between E5 and E3. I understand how to use the formula E5=13.6(1-1/25)=13.056eV.

And so the difference between E5 and E3 is .97.

Simple enough.

And then we have to convert that to joules so we multiply it by 1.6E-19 in order to get 1.552E-19 joules.

And then I THINK im supposed to use the formule F=E/H in order to find the frequency. But when I divide 1.552E-19 joules by the constant 6.63E-34 joules, I get 2.34E-54.

The problem here is that I know my answer is supposed to be 1288.

What am I missing here??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    Re: Introductory Bohrs Model Problem...and I'm Lost!!

correct answer is:

(1.552E-19)/(6.63E-34)=2.34E+14 Hz

(a.k.a 2.34*10^5 THz, where T means Terra)

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3

ok so i get how it comes to 2.34E14, I wasn't using parenthesis. Silly mistake!

But I'm not sure what you are doing to get terra hz, or why, as I know my instructor never mentioned that term. Nor my book for that matter.

Also, how is 1288 an acceptable answer?

Thoughts??

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4

AHHH! I get it. sort of.

So from 2.34E14 hz I need to use this frequency to find the wavelength.

Using the formula lambda= C/F, with speed of light as my constant, I get 1282E-6. This is REALLY close to my target of 1288!

I just seem to be missing one last final step. I'm guessing I need to convert the hz into something else before dividing it by a unit of time.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5

c= λ*f => λ=c/f => λ=(3*10Ε+8)/(2.34Ε+14) => λ=0.00000128205 meters ,which abbreviated can be written as:
    λ= 1282 nm ( where 'n' means nano=10E-9)

it is not 1288 because you rounded the results in the previous calculations...

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6

AHH! Now I totally get it. Thank You!!!!

That was fun. Both discouraging and yet encouraging at the same time...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook