Introductory Calculus-practice questions

In summary, the conversation was about a student seeking practice questions for straight line graphs, quadratics, cubics/root functions, and completing the square. The student also asked for help in finding the values of "m" for a quadratic equation and solving for x in a square root equation. The conversation ended with a request for the equation of a line parallel to another line and passing through a specific point.
hds29ka
Greetings,

Note:I am in my eleventh year of school, thus not into 'real' calculus yet; or in university, for that matter.

I was wondering if someone may have some practice questions-fore me attempt, on the following sub-headings:
  • straight line graphs
  • Quadratics
  • cubics/root functions, 1/f(x)
  • completing the square

Thankyou,

Physics news on Phys.org
For what values of "m" the following quadratic equation will have: a) exactly one solution
b) two distinct real solutions c) No real solution
[tex]x^{2}+2mx+3m[/tex]

P.S.I made it up at the top of my head.

Complete the square:
[tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

Find x:
[tex]\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x-1} = 3[/tex]

find the equation of a line that passes through the point (1,3) and is parallel to the line 2x+y-4=0

What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies rates of change and accumulation. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

What are the basic concepts of calculus?

The basic concepts of calculus include derivatives, which measure instantaneous rates of change, and integrals, which measure accumulation over a given interval. Other important concepts include limits, continuity, and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

How do I solve basic calculus problems?

To solve basic calculus problems, you will need to use rules and formulas for derivatives and integrals, as well as knowledge of algebra and basic functions. You will also need to understand how to interpret and apply these concepts to real-world situations.

What are some common applications of calculus?

Calculus has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze systems that involve change and accumulation, such as motion, growth, and optimization problems.

How can I practice and improve my skills in calculus?

Practice is key to improving your skills in calculus. You can practice by solving a variety of problems, both simple and complex, and by seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice quizzes. It is also helpful to review and understand the concepts and formulas involved in solving calculus problems.