Introductory number theory textbook

• Thread starter battousai
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What is a good introductory textbook for beginners?

Answers and Replies

If you want a real basic, survey type of book (say for non-math majors) then Id recommend Friedbergs "An Adventurers Guide to Number Theory." Its light reading but its not fluff and it'll give you a bit of a taste of what number theory is about.

If you want a beginner's book thats more rigorous (say for sophomore/junior level math major) Underwood Dudley's Elementary Number Theory is a great place to START.

I'm looking for the 2nd type of book (for math majors).

xristy
Gold Member
Three to consider are:

Apostol - Introduction to Analytic Number Theory -- the analytic side of numbers
Rosen - Elementary Number Theory and Its Applications -- basic ideas and relations
Stillwell - Number Theory -- some feel for the algebraic aspects

There's also the classic:

Hardy and Wright - Introduction to the Theory of Numbers 4th ed -- older more toward analytic aspects

I'm looking for the 2nd type of book (for math majors).
I would say then the Dudley book is most approachable, especially for self study. Its a Dover book, so it can be had for cheap.

I took number theory as an undergrad over the summer and we used an absolutely horrendous book (but at least is was free: http://www.shoup.net/ntb/ ) and I had the Dudley book the whole time, but never bothered to read it for the better part of the session until the last couple of weeks when, I then realized that I would have gotten much much more out of my course had I used that book for the bulk of my studying. Everything that I was left in a fog with was immediately cleared up by the Dudley book. Plenty of exercises, answers to exercises, etc.

I think its worth picking up, even if after reading some of it, you feel its not rigorous enough (I don't feel that way, I think its perfect for a first intro to the subject) and you need a more challenging book, at least you'll get your feet wet and wont spend much cash to do it.

Personally, I would love to learn more and might move on to some of the books suggested by xristy. Im personally looking at picking up Apostol's book.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
the number theorists in my department often recommended van den eynden as a beginning book. as a more advanced book i always liked that by trygve nagell.