Introductory textbook for cavity quantum electrodynamics

In summary: Often, it is tempting to start a topic, but one cannot do that without learning the basics. I have faced this as well. I always wanted to learn particle physics. So I took a graduate-level book and started right away, but to my utter dismay, I couldn't understand a word. Later, I learned that I had to learn QM and then QFT before particle physics. Today, I am reading that same book, and I can say the patient wait has paid back well.Don't lose interest, and I am sure you will be able to read those skipped topics someday. Best of... quantum computing!
Haorong Wu
Hi. I'm having a hard time learning the physical realization of quantum computers. I got stuck with the section of optical cavity quantum eletrodynamics.

There are some concepts I am not familiar with. I think I should read some introductory textbooks which cover cavity quantum electrodynamics. Could someone recommend some good introductory textbooks? Those just with the basic concepts, theorems and effects would be good enough.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:

Thanks, Andy. By saying not an introductory topic, do you mean it is an advance subject? I only learn the quantum mechanics with Griffiths's book. Is that enough? Or would you recommend some other basic material? However, I would like to try those pdf first. Thanks!

Haorong Wu said:
Thanks, Andy. By saying not an introductory topic, do you mean it is an advance subject? I only learn the quantum mechanics with Griffiths's book. Is that enough? Or would you recommend some other basic material? However, I would like to try those pdf first. Thanks!
Before cavity QED, you have to first learn basic QED. Griffiths is an absolutely basic level book in QM, while QED is a part of Quantum Field Theory (QFT). But if you learn Griffiths completely, and also have knowledge of special relativity, in principle you can start with QFT. For that, you need a more basic level book in QFT, where the "very difficult" sections are skipped, but other important derivations are in place. You will have to learn the quantization of scalar and Dirac fields, then gauge theories, and then QED (some books change the order of the last two, and there is no problem with that.)

However, I wonder if there are too many books on cavity QED solely that you can start after learning the basics of QED. After a Google search, this book came up: Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics: The Strange Theory of Light in a Box by Sergio M. Dutra. I don't know if it's good or bad, as I haven't read it. Some other books are available too.

Be sure to pick up a more recent book, as these topics are under development, and often old books will skip newly discovered things.

Wrichik Basu said:
Before cavity QED, you have to first learn basic QED. Griffiths is an absolutely basic level book in QM, while QED is a part of Quantum Field Theory (QFT). But if you learn Griffiths completely, and also have knowledge of special relativity, in principle you can start with QFT. For that, you need a more basic level book in QFT, where the "very difficult" sections are skipped, but other important derivations are in place. You will have to learn the quantization of scalar and Dirac fields, then gauge theories, and then QED (some books change the order of the last two, and there is no problem with that.)

However, I wonder if there are too many books on cavity QED solely that you can start after learning the basics of QED. After a Google search, this book came up: Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics: The Strange Theory of Light in a Box by Sergio M. Dutra. I don't know if it's good or bad, as I haven't read it. Some other books are available too.

Be sure to pick up a more recent book, as these topics are under development, and often old books will skip newly discovered things.

Thanks, Wrichik. I didn't realize I have to learn so much before cavity QED. I guess it is not a good time for me to dive in this subject cause there are many other topics I have to learn in quantum computation and quantum information.

I defintely will follow your recommendation after I finish Neilsen's QIQC. Right now, I just have to skip those sections and move on.

Thanks again!

Likes Wrichik Basu
Haorong Wu said:
Thanks, Wrichik. I didn't realize I have to learn so much before cavity QED. I guess it is not a good time for me to dive in this subject cause there are many other topics I have to learn in quantum computation and quantum information.
Often, it is tempting to start a topic, but one cannot do that without learning the basics. I have faced this as well. I always wanted to learn particle physics. So I took a graduate-level book and started right away, but to my utter dismay, I couldn't understand a word. Later, I learned that I had to learn QM and then QFT before particle physics. Today, I am reading that same book, and I can say the patient wait has paid back well.

Don't lose interest, and I am sure you will be able to read those skipped topics someday. Best of luck!

I think, if you are more specifically interested in quantum optics in general and cavity QED in particular rather than studying a HEP QFT/QED book it's more straight forward to study a quantum optics book. My favorite is

J. C. Garrison, R. Y. Chiao, Quantum Optics, Oxford University Press (2008)

Likes yucheng

1. What is cavity quantum electrodynamics (CQED)?

Cavity quantum electrodynamics is a field of physics that studies the interaction between light and matter in confined spaces, such as tiny cavities or optical fibers. It explores the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism at the nanoscale level.

2. Why is CQED important?

CQED has important applications in various fields, including quantum computing, quantum information processing, and quantum communication. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter and light in extreme conditions, such as in the presence of strong magnetic fields or at ultra-low temperatures.

3. What topics are typically covered in an introductory textbook for CQED?

An introductory textbook for CQED typically covers topics such as quantum optics, cavity modes, atom-field interactions, and quantum dynamics. It also includes discussions on experimental techniques and applications of CQED in different fields.

4. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary to understand CQED?

Yes, a basic understanding of quantum mechanics is necessary to understand CQED. Familiarity with concepts such as energy levels, wave-particle duality, and quantum states is important for comprehending the principles of CQED.

5. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying CQED?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in undergraduate-level physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Familiarity with mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and differential equations is also beneficial for studying CQED.