1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Vector Equation Illustrated by a Moving River - Picture Included

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    Introductory Vector Equation Illustrated by a Moving River -- Picture Included

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A swimmer wants to cross a river, from point A to point B, as shown in the figure. The distance (from A to C) is 100 , the distance (from C to B) is 75 , and the speed of the current in the river is 5 . Suppose that the swimmer's velocity relative to the water makes an angle of with the line from A to C, as indicated in the figure.
    5Agg2.jpg

To swim directly from A to B, what speed , relative to the water, should the swimmer have?

2. Relevant equations

A to B2=1002+752

A to B= 125 meters

That's about all I really know how to do. For some reason I can't think of a way to go about solving this problem. Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: Introductory Vector Equation Illustrated by a Moving River -- Picture Included

What's the question?

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    Re: Introductory Vector Equation Illustrated by a Moving River -- Picture Included

That's embarrassing, can't believe I left that out. The question is now included.

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

Hmm, I've looked through all the related threads, however, in all instances the problem is similar a solution is available but documentation showing how the solution is reached is unavailable. I'm much more interested in the necessary steps to solve this problem than the actual solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook