Inventor and physicist, what to study?

In summary: Which one would you advice me?In summary, to be a successful inventor, it is important to have a strong technical background in physics and/or engineering. Doing side projects in your field of interest can help develop the necessary skills and knowledge. It is also important to consider external factors such as costs and feasibility when inventing. As for the best career path, both mechanical engineering and physics can provide valuable skills and knowledge for inventing, so it would be beneficial to explore both options and see which one aligns more with your interests and goals.
Dmenam21
I want to be an inventor that focuses on physics, I have the chance to study university but I don’t know what is the best career. I know inventing is much more than a degree, but I wanted to know which degree or degrees would help me more?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

To be a good inventor, you need a strong technical background in physics and/or engineering, IMO. Keep working hard in your undergrad education, and do lots of side projects that interest you. The more projects you build on your own, the better you learn to "ask the right questions" as you do your studies. The projects that I built on my own in my undergrad EE work helped me a lot to see things that I wasn't learning as well as I should have, and motivated me to learn the important things more in depth.

Enjoy the ride! :smile:

Likes russ_watters, Choppy, Dale and 1 other person
Dmenam21 said:
I want to be an inventor that focuses on physics, I have the chance to study university but I don’t know what is the best career. I know inventing is much more than a degree, but I wanted to know which degree or degrees would help me more?

What do you mean by "inventing", and what exactly do you mean by "inventor that focuses on physics"?

Since it appears that you don't have a degree yet in physics, or in inventing (engineering), how do you know what invention focuses on physics, and whether there is a need for such a thing?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What do you mean by "inventing", and what exactly do you mean by "inventor that focuses on physics"?

Since it appears that you don't have a degree yet in physics, or in inventing (engineering), how do you know what invention focuses on physics, and whether there is a need for such a thing?

Zz.

I mean solving problems in the real world by building devices or mechanisms which involve physics. For example let’s say the problem is that to much energy from the vehicle is being consumed by friction. I invent a super conductor levitating car, that cools down temperature to be super conductive (until we discover a super conductive material at room temperature)

Dmenam21 said:
I mean solving problems in the real world by building devices or mechanisms which involve physics. For example let’s say the problem is that to much energy from the vehicle is being consumed by friction. I invent a super conductor levitating car, that cools down temperature to be super conductive (until we discover a super conductive material at room temperature)

That is more of an engineering problem than a physics problem.

You need to keep in mind that just because something is possible does not mean that it will be adopted. There are many external factors that dictate whether some "invention" is successful or not. For example, we can build very strong buildings that can withstand the strongest earthquakes, but if it costs way more than anyone can afford, then no one is going to pursue that. The invention of anything requires not just a device that can do something, but also other factors such as costs, the feasibility of mass production, etc... etc. If your levitating car costs way more money to operate than the typical vehicle, how many people do you think will adopt it?

These are all not physics issues. And invention that do not consider any of those other factors are often doomed to disappear into obscurity.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That is more of an engineering problem than a physics problem.

You need to keep in mind that just because something is possible does not mean that it will be adopted. There are many external factors that dictate whether some "invention" is successful or not. For example, we can build very strong buildings that can withstand the strongest earthquakes, but if it costs way more than anyone can afford, then no one is going to pursue that. The invention of anything requires not just a device that can do something, but also other factors such as costs, the feasibility of mass production, etc... etc. If your levitating car costs way more money to operate than the typical vehicle, how many people do you think will adopt it?

These are all not physics issues. And invention that do not consider any of those other factors are often doomed to disappear into obscurity.

Zz.

Definitely, I understand inventing is much more than just building the products but considering costs, mass production and more.

After listening I think I’m between 2 careers:
- mechanical engineering or physics

Mechanical engineering because I like the designing process and also like mechanics.

Physics because I think it teaches me more physics concepts to invent.

Which one would you advice me?

Dmenam21 said:
After listening I think I’m between 2 careers:
- mechanical engineering or physics

Mechanical engineering because I like the designing process and also like mechanics.

Physics because I think it teaches me more physics concepts to invent.

Which one would you advice me?
Nothing you've said so far implies physics, so I'd say engineering.

russ_watters said:
Nothing you've said so far implies physics, so I'd say engineering.

What would implie physics in your opinion?

Many engineering schools offer degrees in engineering physics. You can also easily pursue almost any engineering concentration if you start in engineering physics and wish to switch anytime later.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is the difference between an inventor and a physicist?

An inventor is someone who creates or improves upon a product or technology, while a physicist is a scientist who studies the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world.

2. What skills do I need to become an inventor?

To become an inventor, you need a combination of creativity, problem-solving abilities, and technical knowledge in a specific field. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with others in the invention process.

3. Can I be both an inventor and a physicist?

Yes, it is possible to be both an inventor and a physicist. Many inventors have a strong background in physics, as it provides a deep understanding of the natural world and can inspire new inventions.

4. What should I study to become an inventor?

There is no specific degree or course of study that guarantees success as an inventor. However, subjects such as science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) can provide a solid foundation for inventing. Additionally, studying the history of inventions and learning about different industries can also be helpful.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of physics to inventing?

The principles and laws of physics can be applied to various fields and industries, making it a valuable asset for inventors. Understanding concepts like energy, force, and motion can help with designing and creating new products. Additionally, studying materials and their properties can also aid in the invention process.