Inverse and original function relationships

In summary, the article explains how to differentiate an inverse function using the chain rule. Once the derivative is known, the integration by parts can be done to get the original function. The article also states that the high order derivatives are created by applying the chain rule.
MathewsMD
Just curious:

Are there any unique relationships b/w the inverse of a function and the original, specifically when considering the derivative and integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
wiki for derivative and Wolfram for the integral. Is that what you're looking for?

Use the chain rule on [itex]f(f^{-1}(x))[/itex] to get the first and "integration by parts" to get the second.

Thank you for the link.
Just wondering...if you have an original function ##f(x) = y## and the inverse, ##g(y) = x = f^{-1} (f(x))##.

Then differentiating ##g(y)## wrt to x you get:

## \frac {d(g(y)}{dy} \frac {dy}{dx} = g'(y)y' = g'(f(x))f'(x) = f'^{-1} (f(x)) f'(x)##

I'm just slightly confused on how the article derived ## f'^{-1} (x) = \frac {1}{f' ( f^{-1} (x))}## since all it says is that chain rule is used, specifically here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_functions_and_differentiation#Additional_properties.

Also, just a little lower in the article, it states:

##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2} . \frac {dx}{dy} + \frac {d^2x}{dy^2} . (\frac {dy}{dx})^2 = 0##

All I can really simplify this to by simple manipulation is:

##\frac {(d^2y)(dy^2)}{(d^2x)(dx^2)} = -(\frac {dy}{dx})^3##

This isn't really helpful and I don't exactly know what else to do from here. Any insight on taking a different approach or how to move on would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm just not applying chain rule correctly, but any help would be great!

Last edited:
MathewsMD said:
Thank you for the link.

Just wondering...if you have an original function ##f(x) = y## and the inverse, ##g(y) = x = f^{-1} (f(x))##.

Then differentiating ##g(y)## wrt to x you get:

## \frac {d(g(y)}{dy} \frac {dy}{dx} = g'(y)y' = g'(f(x))f'(x) = f'^{-1} (f(x)) f'(x)##

I'm just slightly confused on how the article derived ## f'^{-1} (x) = \frac {1}{f' ( f^{-1} (x))}## since all it says is that chain rule is used, specifically here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_functions_and_differentiation#Additional_properties.

Just use ##g(f(x))=x## and differentiate. I think it actually works faster if you use ##f(g(x))=x## like HoI, but both work fine.

DrewD said:
Just use ##g(f(x))=x## and differentiate. I think it actually works faster if you use ##f(g(x))=x## like HoI, but both work fine.

Hmm...I must say that my understanding of Liebniz notation is not too strong.

For example, what exactly does this represent (if ##y = f(x)##):

##\frac {d^3y}{dx^3}##

Is it simply ##\frac {1}{f'''^{-1}(x)}## ?
Also, is ## \frac {d^2y}{dx^2} . \frac {dx}{dy} + \frac {d^2x}{dy^2} . (\frac {dy}{dx})^3 = 0 ##

equal to ## \frac {1}{f''^{-1}(x)}. \frac {1}{f^{-1}} + \frac {1}{f''(x)}. (f'(x))^3 = 0 ##

Besides rewriting it, I am still a little confused on how this was simplified in the next steps in the link.

Last edited:
I am also going through the expression:

##f^{-1}(x) = \int \frac {1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}dx + c##

By taking the derivative of both sides, what I simplify this to is:

##f'^{-1}(x) = \frac {1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}##

I just don't exactly see how this result was derived using Chain Rule in the link.

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical relationship between two variables where one variable's value is dependent on the other's. It is essentially the "opposite" of a regular function, in that the input and output values are switched.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can use the algebraic method or the graphical method. The algebraic method involves swapping the x and y variables and solving for y. The graphical method involves reflecting the function over the line y=x.

3. What is the difference between an inverse function and a reciprocal function?

An inverse function is the opposite of a regular function, whereas a reciprocal function is the inverse of a single variable in a function. In other words, a reciprocal function is a special case of an inverse function.

4. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. A function must pass the horizontal line test, meaning that every horizontal line must intersect the function at most once, in order to have an inverse. If a function fails this test, it does not have an inverse.

5. Why are inverse functions important?

Inverse functions are important in solving equations and finding unknown values. They are also useful in real-world applications such as calculating interest rates, determining population growth, and analyzing market trends.