Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse and original function relationships

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1
    Just curious:

Are there any unique relationships b/w the inverse of a function and the original, specifically when considering the derivative and integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2
    wiki for derivative and Wolfram for the integral. Is that what you're looking for?

4. Jan 9, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the chain rule on [itex]f(f^{-1}(x))[/itex] to get the first and "integration by parts" to get the second.

5. Jan 9, 2014 #4
    Thank you for the link.

Just wondering...if you have an original function ##f(x) = y## and the inverse, ##g(y) = x = f^{-1} (f(x))##.

Then differentiating ##g(y)## wrt to x you get:

## \frac {d(g(y)}{dy} \frac {dy}{dx} = g'(y)y' = g'(f(x))f'(x) = f'^{-1} (f(x)) f'(x)##

I'm just slightly confused on how the article derived ## f'^{-1} (x) = \frac {1}{f' ( f^{-1} (x))}## since all it says is that chain rule is used, specifically here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_functions_and_differentiation#Additional_properties.

Also, just a little lower in the article, it states:

##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2} . \frac {dx}{dy} + \frac {d^2x}{dy^2} . (\frac {dy}{dx})^2 = 0##

All I can really simplify this to by simple manipulation is:

##\frac {(d^2y)(dy^2)}{(d^2x)(dx^2)} = -(\frac {dy}{dx})^3##

This isn't really helpful and I don't exactly know what else to do from here. Any insight on taking a different approach or how to move on would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm just not applying chain rule correctly, but any help would be great!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. Jan 9, 2014 #5
    Just use ##g(f(x))=x## and differentiate. I think it actually works faster if you use ##f(g(x))=x## like HoI, but both work fine.

7. Jan 10, 2014 #6
    Hmm....I must say that my understanding of Liebniz notation is not too strong.

For example, what exactly does this represent (if ##y = f(x)##):

##\frac {d^3y}{dx^3}##

Is it simply ##\frac {1}{f'''^{-1}(x)}## ?

Also, is ## \frac {d^2y}{dx^2} . \frac {dx}{dy} + \frac {d^2x}{dy^2} . (\frac {dy}{dx})^3 = 0 ##

equal to ## \frac {1}{f''^{-1}(x)}. \frac {1}{f^{-1}} + \frac {1}{f''(x)}. (f'(x))^3 = 0 ##

Besides rewriting it, I am still a little confused on how this was simplified in the next steps in the link.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  8. Jan 10, 2014 #7
    I am also going through the expression:

##f^{-1}(x) = \int \frac {1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}dx + c##

By taking the derivative of both sides, what I simplify this to is:

##f'^{-1}(x) = \frac {1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}##

I just don't exactly see how this result was derived using Chain Rule in the link.

9. Jan 15, 2014 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook