Inverse Fourier Transform of cos(4ω + pi/3)

In summary, the inverse Fourier transform of F(jω) = cos(4ω + pi/3) is not correctly calculated in the given attempt. The correct approach would be to separate the constant factors from the exponential factors and apply the inverse Fourier transform to each part separately.
jkface

Homework Statement

Find the inverse Fourier transform of F(jω) = cos(4ω + pi/3)

Homework Equations

δ(t) <--> 1
δ(t - to) <--> exp(-j*ωo*t)
cos(x) = 1/2 (exp(jx) + exp(-jx))

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I turned the given equation into its complex form using Euler's Formula.

F(jω) = 1/2 (exp(j*4*ω + j*pi/3) + exp(-j*4*ω - j*pi/3))

And using the relevant equation above, I get..

exp(j*4*ω) <--> δ(t + 4) and exp(j*4*ω) <--> δ(t - 4)

I'm not exactly sure how to do inverse Fourier transformation on exp(j*pi/3) and exp(-j*pi/3). My guess is you simply get simply exp(j*pi/3)*δ(t) and exp(-j*pi/3)*δ(t).

Assuming I'm correct in the above step, I now multiply the resulting expressions.

1/2 ( exp(j*pi/3)*δ(t)*δ(t + 4) + exp(-j*pi/3)*δ(t)*δ(t - 4) )

Is my solution correct? I feel like I would have to simply the final answer I got but I'm not really sure how.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jkface said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

δ(t) <--> 1

So first I turned the given equation into its complex form using Euler's Formula.

I'm not exactly sure how to do inverse Fourier transformation on exp(j*pi/3) and exp(-j*pi/3). My guess is you simply get simply exp(j*pi/3)*δ(t) and exp(-j*pi/3)*δ(t).

Assuming I'm correct in the above step, I now multiply the resulting expressions.

Is my solution correct? I feel like I would have to simply the final answer I got but I'm not really sure how.

Well...I don't think so. Are you saying that ##\cos(4\omega + \frac{\pi}{3})## is the Fourier transform and you are attempting to find ##\mathcal{F}^{-1}[\cos(4\omega + \frac{\pi}{3})](t)##?

jkface said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

δ(t) <--> 1

Your factors of ##\exp(\pm i \pi/3)## are constants multiplying the factors ##\exp(\pm i 4\omega)##.

What is the inverse Fourier transform ##\mathcal F^{-1}[c \hat{F}(\omega)]##, where ##c## is a constant (or any function, really)? It's not ##\mathcal F^{-1}[c]\mathcal F^{-1}[ \hat{F}(\omega)]##, but that's what you implicitly assumed in your final answer.

1. What is the inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3)?

The inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3) is a function that takes the frequency-domain representation of a signal and converts it back to the time-domain representation. In other words, it allows us to find the original signal that was used to create the given frequency-domain representation.

2. How is the inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3) calculated?

The inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3) is calculated using the inverse Fourier transform formula, which involves integrating the given function over all frequencies. In the case of cos(4ω + pi/3), the inverse Fourier transform would involve integrating the function over the range of frequencies from negative infinity to positive infinity.

3. What is the significance of the phase shift (pi/3) in the given function?

The phase shift (pi/3) in the given function represents a delay or advancement in the signal. In this case, it indicates that the signal is delayed by a certain amount compared to the reference signal. This phase shift can have a significant impact on the frequency-domain representation and the resulting inverse Fourier transform.

4. Can the inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3) be expressed in terms of other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3) can be expressed in terms of other trigonometric functions. Using Euler's formula, we can rewrite the given function as e^(-i4ω)e^(ipi/3) which can then be expanded using trigonometric identities to get the inverse Fourier transform in terms of sine and cosine functions.

5. What are the applications of the inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3) in science and engineering?

The inverse Fourier transform of cos(4ω + pi/3) has various applications in science and engineering, particularly in signal processing and communication systems. It is used to convert frequency-domain representations of signals back to the time-domain, making it essential in areas such as image and audio processing, control systems, and data compression. It is also used in the analysis of electromagnetic waves and in the design of filters and equalizers for communication systems.