1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Fourier Transform of cos(4ω + pi/3)

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the inverse fourier transform of F(jω) = cos(4ω + pi/3)

2. Relevant equations
    δ(t) <--> 1
    δ(t - to) <--> exp(-j*ωo*t)
    cos(x) = 1/2 (exp(jx) + exp(-jx))

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first I turned the given equation into its complex form using Euler's Formula.

F(jω) = 1/2 (exp(j*4*ω + j*pi/3) + exp(-j*4*ω - j*pi/3))

And using the relevant equation above, I get..

exp(j*4*ω) <--> δ(t + 4) and exp(j*4*ω) <--> δ(t - 4)

I'm not exactly sure how to do inverse fourier transformation on exp(j*pi/3) and exp(-j*pi/3). My guess is you simply get simply exp(j*pi/3)*δ(t) and exp(-j*pi/3)*δ(t).

Assuming I'm correct in the above step, I now multiply the resulting expressions.

1/2 ( exp(j*pi/3)*δ(t)*δ(t + 4) + exp(-j*pi/3)*δ(t)*δ(t - 4) )

Is my solution correct? I feel like I would have to simply the final answer I got but I'm not really sure how.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2
    Well...I don't think so. Are you saying that ##\cos(4\omega + \frac{\pi}{3})## is the Fourier transform and you are attempting to find ##\mathcal{F}^{-1}[\cos(4\omega + \frac{\pi}{3})](t)##?

4. May 30, 2013 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

Your factors of ##\exp(\pm i \pi/3)## are constants multiplying the factors ##\exp(\pm i 4\omega)##.

What is the inverse fourier transform ##\mathcal F^{-1}[c \hat{F}(\omega)]##, where ##c## is a constant (or any function, really)? It's not ##\mathcal F^{-1}[c]\mathcal F^{-1}[ \hat{F}(\omega)]##, but that's what you implicitly assumed in your final answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted