Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Function Theorem in Spivak

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    In his proof of the IFT, on p. 36 of "Calculus on Manifolds," Spivak states: "If the theorem is true for [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{-1}[/tex] [tex]\circ[/tex]f, it is clearly true for f. Therefore we may assume at the outset that [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the identity.

I don't understand why we may assume that.

thanks for your help!

Ken Cohen

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For those of us without the textbook handy, can you post the context of what lambda is?

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3
    Is there a way to scan a page and post it?

5. Jun 14, 2009 #4
    "Suppose that f: R[tex]^{n}[/tex] -> R[tex]^{m}[/tex] is continuously differentiable in an open set containing a, and det f'(a) [tex]\neq[/tex] 0. Then there is an open set V containing a and an open set W containing f(a) such that f: V -> W has a continuous inverse f[tex]^{-1}[/tex]: W -> V which is differentiable and for all y [tex]\in[/tex] W satisfies

(f[tex]^{-1}[/tex])'(y) = [f'(f[tex]^{-1}[/tex](y))][tex]^{-1}[/tex].

Proof. Let [tex]\lambda[/tex] be the linear transformation Df(a). Then [tex]\lambda[/tex] is non-singular, since det f'(a) [tex]\neq[/tex] 0. Now D([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\circ[/tex]f)(a) = D([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{-1}[/tex])(f(a) = [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\circ[/tex]Df(a) is the identity linear transformation."

This much I think I follow.

"If the theorem is true for [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\circ[/tex]f, it is clearly true for f."

I think I understand this as well.

"Therefore we may assume at the ouset that [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the identity"

That I don't understand. Since [tex]\lambda[/tex] = Df(a), making it the identity seems a very severe condition on f(a).

It was easier that I thought to type this in with the Latex Reference. Thank you to whoever programmed that!

Ken Cohen

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook