Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Inverse Function Theorem Proof

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    On p. 36 of "Calculus on Manifolds" Spivak writes:

"If the theorem is true for ([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{-1}[/tex])[tex]\circ[/tex]f , it is clearly true for f."

This far I understand. However, he next says:

"Therefore we may assume at the outset that [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the identity."

I don't understand how this follows, since he previously defined [tex]\lambda[/tex] = Df(x).

I would appreciate someone adding a bit more explanation here.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What he is saying is that since, whenever some theorem is true for [itex]\lambda^{-1}\circle f[/itex], it is true for f, we can work with f rather than [itex]\lambda^{-1}\circle f[/itex]- that is that we can take [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex]. What you need to do is look at why "if the theorem is true for [itex]\lambda^{-1}\circle f[/itex], it is clearly true for f.[/itex]

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    I can understand why

a)if this particular theorem is true for [tex]\lambda^{-1}\circ[/tex]f it is true for f, but

b) is it true as your posting suggests that any theorem true for [tex]\lambda^{-1}\circ[/tex]f is true for f?

and

c) how does his proof depend upon (a)? I mean, how does the subsequent argument depend upon (a)? I understand that [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a linear transformation with non-zero determinant. Doesn't that already imply that f(x+a) -f(a) <> 0 in some neighborhood of a?

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but I'm studying this stuff on my own with no one to talk to - not in a class.

Thank you all.

5. Dec 29, 2011 #4
    I know this thread is old, but I wanted to put in my two cents since I had trouble with this at first as well.
    Suppose the theorem is true for any function with derivative at a equal to the identity function and suppose we have a function f with λ = Df(a) not necessarily the identity. As the author points out, [itex]\lambda^{-1} \circ f[/itex] is a continuously differentiable function with derivative at a equal to the identity, so the theorem is true for [itex]\lambda^{-1} \circ f[/itex] by the assumption above. Hence, the theorem is true for f.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook