Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ïnverse functions and composition

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    given two functions f and g, is there any known condition under which the following is valid:

[tex](f \circ g^{-1}) = (f^{-1} \circ g)[/tex]

Basically I have to find out the requirements for [tex]f[/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] for which composition is commutative in respect to inversion.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2
    attempt to a solution

I probably did a step forward but I'm still stuck.
    We know that: [tex](f \circ g)^{-1}=(g^{-1} \circ f^{-1})[/tex].

This obviously implies that the following must be true:
    [tex](f \circ g^{-1})=(f \circ g^{-1})^{-1}=(g \circ f^{-1})[/tex]

If consider only the body in the parentheses [tex]h = f \circ g[/tex], we have the condition:

[tex]h = h^{-1}[/tex]

OK! Now, what is the family of functions that fulfills the property [tex]f = f^{-1}[/tex]?
    I already found [tex]f(x)=a-x[/tex] and [tex]f(x)=a/x[/tex]
    Are there others?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    I just found out that a function such that [tex]f=f^{-1}[/tex] is called involution.
    I also sketched out a proof which proves that the composition of two involutions is not an involution.

This would partly answer my question, implying that in order to satisfy [tex](f \circ g^{-1}) = (f^{-1} \circ g)[/tex] only one of the two function can be an involution; but still nothing useful is known about the nature of f and g

And still, what remains unanswered is: are [tex]f(x)=a-x[/tex] and [tex]f(x)=\frac{a}{x}[/tex] the only existing involutions for real functions?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. Feb 26, 2009 #4
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook