1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inverse Laplace of a Mass-Spring System

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a transfer function in the Laplace Domain

Detemine an expression for x(t), given f(t) is a sinusodial input with frequency omega = root(k2/m2) and amplitude of 1 N (initial conditions equal 0)

2. Relevant equations
    [URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?X_1/F=(m_2&space;s^2+k_2)/(m_1&space;m_2&space;s^4+k_2&space;(m_1+m_2)s^2&space;)[/URL]

Inverse laplace 1/s^2 = t.u(t)
    Inverse laplace (omega/s^2+omega^2) = sin(omega.t) . u(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I divided the transfer function by m2 to obtain omega^2. I then brought the F over to the LHS as a sin function in the laplace domain (omega/s^2+omega^2). I have obtained the following equation

[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?X_1=(1/s^2)&space;.w/((s^2&space;m_1+w^2&space;((m_1+m_2)/m_2&space;))[/URL]

What is the next step? I am given inverse laplace transforms for 1/s^2 and omega/s^2+omega^2

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, I think you have a small error in your equation. I get

[tex]X_1(s)=\frac{\omega}{s^2[m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2]}[/tex]

since [itex]m_1m_2s^4+(m_1+m_2)k_2s^2=m_2s^2[m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2][/itex]

Second, use partial fraction decomposition. Say

[tex]\frac{\omega}{s^2[m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2]}=\frac{A}{s}+\frac{B}{s^2}+\frac{Cs+D}{m_1s^2+(m_1+m_2)\omega^2}[/tex]

and find the constants [itex]A[/itex], [itex]B[/itex], [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook