1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian of a double pendulum system (with a spring)

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Lagrangian for the double pendulum system given below, where the length of the massless, frictionless and non-extendable wire attaching [itex]m_1[/itex] is [itex]l[/itex]. [itex]m_2[/itex] is attached to [itex]m_1[/itex] through a massless spring of constant [itex]k[/itex] and length [itex]r[/itex]. The spring may only stretch in the [itex]m_1[/itex]-[itex]m_2[/itex] direction and its unstretched length is [itex]l_0[/itex]. [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are the angles of [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] with respect to the red [itex]y[/itex]-axis.

double_pendulum_with_spring.png

2. Relevant equations

Lagrangian:
    [tex]L = T - U[/tex]

Kinetic Energy of i-th mass:

[tex]T_i = \frac{1}{2}m_i \left(\dot{x}_i^2 + \dot{y}_i^2 \right) [/tex]

Potential Energy of i-th mass:
    [tex]U_i = m_i g y_i [/tex]

Potential Energy of the spring:
    [tex]U_{spr} = \frac{1}{2}kr^2 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I'm still learning this topic, I need someone to help me by verifying if my work is correct, as there's no solutions manual.

[tex]L = T - U = \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_1 \left(\dot{x}_1^2 + \dot{y}_1^2 \right) - m_1gy_1 \right \} + \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_2 \left(\dot{x}_2^2 + \dot{y}_2^2 \right) - m_2gy_2 \right \} - \frac{1}{2}k r^2 [/tex]

I'm considering [itex]\left(r, \theta, \phi \right)[/itex] as my generalized coordinates

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix}
    x_1& =& l \sin \theta &\\
    x_2& =& l \sin \theta + r \sin \phi &\\
    y_1 &=& l \cos \theta &\\
    y_2 &=& l \cos \theta + r \cos \phi&
    \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Plugging those in the original lagrangian yields

[tex]\begin{align*} L = \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_1 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \cos^2 \theta + l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \sin^2 \theta \right) - m_1gl \cos \theta \right \}\\
    + \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_2 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \cos^2 \theta + r^2\dot{\phi}^2 \cos^2 \phi + 2lr \dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} \cos \theta \cos \phi + l^2 \dot{\theta}^2 \sin^2 \theta + r^2 \dot{\phi}^2 \sin^2 \phi + 2lr \dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} \sin \theta \sin \phi \right)\\
    - m_2g \left( l \cos \theta + r \cos \theta \right) \right \} - \frac{1}{2}k r^2 \end{align*}[/tex]

which summarizes to

[tex]L = \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_1 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \right) - m_1gl \cos \theta \right \} + \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_2 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 + r^2\dot{\phi}^2 + 2lr \dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} \cos \left(\theta-\phi \right)\right) - m_2g \left( l \cos \theta + r \cos \phi\right) \right \} - \frac{1}{2}k r^2 [/tex]

Is this correct? Something tells me it isn't, is there another way of representing [itex]r[/itex]? Also, I haven't used [itex]l_0[/itex] which was given in the problem statement, and I feel like it should be there in the lagrangian somewhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2016 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the difference between ##l_0## and ##r##? I would assume that ##r## is the stretched or compressed length of the spring in which case the elastic potential energy should be ... ?

4. Oct 17, 2016 #3
    Sorry, the comment above answers your question.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted