Inverse Laplace transform (Initial Value Problem)

Homework Statement

I'm stuck trying to find out the inverse Laplace of F(s) to get y(t) (the solution for the differential equation):

Y(s) = 1 / [ (s-1)^2 + 1 ]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a translation theorem and then apply the sine formula, but the denominator is still all squared. I also tried partial fractions to expand Y(s) but I didn't get it right...

Any suggestions please?

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

I'm stuck trying to find out the inverse Laplace of F(s) to get y(t) (the solution for the differential equation):

Y(s) = 1 / [ (s-1)^2 + 1 ]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a translation theorem and then apply the sine formula, but the denominator is still all squared. I also tried partial fractions to expand Y(s) but I didn't get it right...

Any suggestions please?
Yes: show us what you did and what you got. How can we possibly help if we have no idea of what your problem is?

[itex][(s-1)+1]^2=[(s-1+i)(s-1-i)]^2[/itex]

Therefore, [tex]\left[\frac{1}{ (s-1-i)(s-1+i) }\right]^2=\left[\frac{1}{2i}\left(\frac{1}{s-1-i}-\frac{1}{s-1+i} \right ) \right ]^2[/tex]

Can you continue it from there?

Likes 1 person
Yes: show us what you did and what you got. How can we possibly help if we have no idea of what your problem is?

My friend, that's the thing, I can't get past that. I stated the problem clearly: "I'm stuck trying to find out the INVERSE LAPLACE of the given Y(s) to get y(t)". There's no point in showing what I did before, it's not needed for what's after the equation I posted.

Anyway, I got it. It was just applying one of the formulas from the Laplace transform tables. I thought partial fractions or something else had to be done.

Thanks for your help