Inverse Laplace Transformation of s/(s^2+2s+5)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Umayer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Laplace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
Umayer
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have some problem finding the inverse laplace transformation of the function: [tex]\frac{s}{s^2+2s+5}[/tex]

Homework Equations



http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/laplacetransform/LaplaceTransformMod/Images/Table.12.2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to factorise the denominator: [tex]\frac{s}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good start. Now write the s in the numerator as (s+1)-1, and then separate the expression into two fractions.

Chet
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
You mean like this?
[tex]\frac{s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2} - \frac{1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

The inverse laplace of the first term would be I think then: [tex]e^{-t}*cos(2t)[/tex]

But I'm not so sure what to do then since I don't recognize the term in the table, would is be something like this?
[tex]- \frac{0s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

So the second term doesn't have an inverse? Oh and thanks for responding!
 
Last edited:
Umayer said:
You mean like this?
[tex]\frac{s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2} - \frac{1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

The inverse laplace of the first term would be I think then: [tex]e^{-t}*cos(2t)[/tex]
Looks good.
But I'm not so sure what to do then since I don't recognize the term in the table, would is be something like this?
[tex]- \frac{0s+1}{(s+1)^2+2^2}[/tex]

So the second term doesn't have an inverse? Oh and thanks for responding!
Would you recognize it if it were written:
$$-\frac{1}{2} \frac{2}{(s + 1)^2 + 2^2}$$
?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Or, you could have factored the denominator s^2 + 2s + 5 = (s + a)(s + b), then done a partial fraction expansion into
F = s/(s^2 + 2s + 5) = A/(s+a) + B/(s+b).

We all know 1/(s+a) transforms to exp(-at).
 
The discriminant is a negative number so it cannot be factorised. At least to my knowledge.
 
Umayer said:
The discriminant is a negative number so it cannot be factorised. At least to my knowledge.

F(s) = s/(s2 + 2s + 5)

The factors for the denominator are a,b = 1 +/- j2.
So we get A/(s + 1 + j2) + B/(s + 1 - j2) → Aexp(-1 + j2)t + Bexp(-1 - j2)t

with A = (-1 + j2)/j4 and B = -(-1 - j2)/j4

and by using Euler's formula plus some algebra you can reduce this to the real answer
f(t) = (1/2)exp(-t){2cos(2t) - sin(t)}.

It's a bit messy but how did you work with 2/[(s+1)2 + 22] without looking it up?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
I did thought of doing that way but I felt that it would take more time doing that method plus my book and my teacher never showed doing that way. But thanks for showing that it's possible to work with imaginary numbers!