1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transformations

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the inverse Laplace transform of the given functions:
    3. [tex]\frac{2}{s^2+3s-4}[/tex]

7. [tex]\frac{2s+1}{s^2-2s+2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Inverse Laplace Transform Table

3. The attempt at a solution
    on 3. i made the denominator look like [tex](s+4)(s-1)[/tex] but i got lost from there. i couldn't find anything on the table resembling the equation.

on 7. i completed the square and got [tex]\frac{2s+1}{(s-1)^2+1}[/tex], which resembles [tex]\frac{s-a}{(s-a)^2+b^2}[/tex] on the table, yet i can't seem to make the numerator look like [tex](s-a)[/tex].

if it helps anyone, the answers are 3. [tex]\frac{2}{5}e^t-\frac{2}{5}e^{-4}[/tex] and 7. [tex]2e^{t}cos(t)+3e^{t}sin(t)[/tex].

thanks in advance.

edit: p.s. if anyone has a better table of inverse laplace transformations, the one i posted is really hard to read. i'm using the one in my book but it might be useful, if you need to refer to one in a table when trying to help, to refer to a table you're more comfortable reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first one, use partial fractions to write the problem as A/(s-1)+B/(s+4) (find the constants A and B). Break up the second fraction as well. Write it as 2(s-1)/((s-1)^2+1) +C/((s-1)^2+1) (find the constant C). Use the linearity of the laplace transform.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    thank you very much. i'm really bad with partial fractions, so i guess my brain sort of tried to not think of that method. i guess i'll touch up on them because this chapter is filled with inverse laplace transformations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?