1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse linear transformation (think I got it, but don't have answer to compare)

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define [tex]T:P_1 \rightarrow P_1[/tex] by T(a+bx)=(a-b)+ax. Check as to whether T has an inverse or not and if it has, find [tex]T^{-1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]T^{-1}(T(v))=v[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The range of T is P1, so T is one-to-one. The inverse of T is therefore

[tex]T^{-1}((a-b)+ax)=(a+bx)[/tex]

Is my reasoning sound?

Thanks for the help!
    phyz

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2
    Yes, T is a linear transformation from P1 to P1, so if it is injective or surjective it is invertible. Should you show T is one-to-one using the definition or by showing null(T)={0}?

Your T-1 needs to be actually defined. As defined, T's range is P2. So let c+dx+ex2 be in P2. Define T-1:P2→P1 by T-1(c+dx+ex2)=d+(d-c)x. Now check that T-1 is actually the inverse of T by showing T-1(T(a+bx))=a+bx.

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3
    Hi there...sorry, but I made a typo :redface:

Should be [tex]T:P_1 \rightarrow P_1[/tex] not [tex]T:P_1 \rightarrow P_2[/tex]. Fixed it now though. They don't say how you should determine whether T has an inverse or not.

5. Jul 30, 2009 #4
    Oh okay, no problem. That makes more sense, as that confused me a little bit. Then just remove the ex2 from everywhere it appears above.

Read http://books.google.com/books?id=BNsOE3Gp_hEC&lpg=PP1&dq=sheldon axler linear algebra&pg=PA53" for invertibility of linear maps. Look at Theorem 3.21. To show T is invertible, all you need to do is show that it is injective or onto since it is a linear map from P1 to P1. I would recommend showing that if T(a+bx)=T(c+dx), then a+bx=c+dx to show it is one-to-one. Then just define the inverse of T as above, and you're done.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Jul 31, 2009 #5
    Thanks for that! Have a great weekend! :smile:

7. Jul 31, 2009 #6
    Haha. No problem, and the same to you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook