1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse mapping theorem , Transformations

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    A quick question this time...

Example: Let (u,v)=f(x,y)=(x-2y, 2x-y).
    Find the region in the xy-plane that is mapped to the triangle with vertices (0,0),(-1,2),(2,1) in the uv-plane.

(0,0)=f(0,0), (-1,2) = f(5/3,4/3), and (2,1)=f(0,-1), the region is the triangle with these vertices.

My question is:
    Yes, we get three points, but how do you know FOR SURE that the region is a TRIANGLE? I am lost here...

Thanks for explaining!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know "for sure" because the transformation is LINEAR- it maps straight lines into straight lines. If that's not enough, see what the transformation does to the line between (0,0) and (-1, 2) in the uv-plane. That is, of course, v= -2u.

Since u= x-2y and v= 2x-y, that becomes 2x-y= -2(x- 2y)= -2x+ 4y. Then adding y and 2x to both sides we have 4x= 5y or y= (4/5)x, the equation of a straight line.

Do the same with the other two sides of the triangle, v= (1/2)u and v= -(1/3)u+ 5/3 to see that they are mapped into straight lines.
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3
    Is there any quick way to see that this transfromation is linear?

"it maps straight lines into straight lines" <---is this always true for linear transfomations and is it what a linear transformation means geometrically? (I was never aware of the geometrical meaning of a linear transformation, I was just given the definition in my linear algebra course)
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How can you be dealing with a problem like this and not know what a "linear" function is?
    f(x,y)=(x-2y, 2x-y) is linear because it involves only sums and differences of products of numbers with a variable. There are no powers of variables, products of different variables, or more complicated functions. Notice that you could also write this as a single matrix multiplication:
    [tex]f(x,y)= \left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -2 \\ 2 & -1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} x \\ y\end{array}\right][/tex]
    That's a sure sign of a linear transformation.

Yes, it is fairly easy to prove that a linear transformation maps lines into lines.
  6. Nov 30, 2007 #5
    But the definition of linear transformation that I've learnt is:

T: U->V is a linear transformation iff T(au+bv)=aT(u)+bT(v) for all u E U, v E V, for all a, b E R
  7. Nov 30, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and a matrix multiplying vectors in Rn satisfies that perfectly well
  8. Dec 1, 2007 #7
    but by seeing that x-2y, 2x-y are linear polynominals, is it enough to say that f(x,y)=(x-2y, 2x-y) is a linear transformation? (these 2 definitions of "linear" seem quite distinct to me...for example, a linear polynominal allows a constant term, but a linear transfomration does not...)
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  9. Dec 1, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but seeing that x-2y, 2x-y are linear polynomials without constant term is enough!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?