Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of an operator does not exist, can't see why

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    I feel kind of lame, but here's my situation:
    We start with the operator [itex]g_{\mu \nu} \Box - \partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}[/itex] and convert to momentum space to get [itex]-g_{\mu \nu} k^{2} - k_{\mu}k_{\nu}[/itex].

Apparently it's easy to see that this has no inverse?

I'm told that if it *did* it would be of the form
    [itex]Ag^{\nu \lambda} +B k^{\nu}k^{\lambda}[/itex]
    but I don't see why it would be in this form, to start with. Are these A's and B's just constant coefficients...?

I understand that given the form above, we can simply multiply our inverse and original operator and we get that [itex]-Ak^{2}\delta_{\mu}^{\lambda} +A k_{\mu}k^{\lambda}=\delta_{\mu}^{\lambda}[/itex]
    . . . but I don't see why this is an issue, or rather, I can't see why this equation has no solution.

Thanks for any and all help,
    E_Martin

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    :P then you're in agreement with Ryder...I don't see it though. I have the feeling it doesn't, but I cannot show it.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

Sorry, I deleted my post because I'm looking for a solution and it might be on.

Have you found a solution ?
    [Edit] Any solution leads to a contradiction, so there isn't one. Try writing out all 16 equations.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. Jan 25, 2012 #4
    OH, WOW...thanks!

Just writing out the first component works, haha...fail.

Thanks again!

6. Jan 25, 2012 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Non-trivial projection operator has no inverse; [itex]P^{2}=P[/itex]. Consider
    [tex]P_{ab} = g_{ab} - \frac{k_{a}k_{b}}{k^{2}},[/tex]
    [tex]P^{ac}= g^{ac} - \frac{k^{a}k^{c}}{k^{2}}.[/tex]
    then
    [tex]P_{ab}P^{ac} = \delta^{c}_{b} - \frac{k_{b}k^{c}}{k^{2}} \equiv P^{c}_{b}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook