Inverse of tensor using Einstein notation

In summary, to find the inverse of a (1,1) tensor, such as a Lorentz transform, you would multiply on the left by the inverse matrix, denoted as (\Lambda^{-1})^\nu_\mu or \Lambda^{\nu '}\:{}^{\mu}. This is true for all vectors in the same coordinate system.
bdforbes
If I have a (1,1) tensor, eg a Lorentz transform, how do I write its inverse? For example:

[tex]x'^\mu=\Lambda^\mu_\nu x^\nu[/tex]

Would I multiply on the left by:

[tex](\Lambda^{-1})^\nu_\mu[/tex]?

It seems to make sense, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd prefer to not use anything from matrix multiplication, if that's possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could put the primes on the primed coordinates as many do. After all, primed coordinates deserve primes. x is a vector. It is the same vector in any coordinate system. It doesn't deserve primes without reference to a coordinate system, where priming the coordinates takes care of that.

[tex]x ^{\mu '} = \Lambda ^{\mu '}{} _{\nu} \ x ^{\nu} [/tex]

And fully decorated,

[tex]x ^{\mu '} \hat{e}_{\mu '} = \Lambda ^{\mu '}{} _{\nu} \hat{e}_{\mu '} \hat{e} ^{\nu} \ x ^{\nu} \hat{e} _{\nu} [/tex]

it still looks nice--except for the oversized primes that the latex font wants to use.

Last edited:
So using the second equation you gave Phrak, how would I invert the Lorentz transform? I'm not used to using the tensor basis vectors, it was only covered briefly in my general relativity course.

I'm not sure if you want to know how to write the inverse tensor or express it.

As to the first, it depends on the convension of the author.

You might see the inverse matrix written as
[tex]\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu '}[/tex]
or
[tex]\Lambda_{\nu '}\:{}^{\mu}[/tex]

You will see the inverse of a Lorentz transform written with the same symbol, lambda, but they are not the same matrix.

Keeping this notation in mind,

[tex]x^{\sigma} = \Lambda^{\sigma}{}_{\mu '}\Lambda^{\mu '}{}_{\nu} x^{\nu}[/tex]

must be true for all vectors, for a transform and its inverse, so

[tex] \Lambda^{\sigma}{}_{\mu '} \Lambda^{\mu '}{}_{\nu} = \delta^{\sigma}_{\nu}[/tex]

Last edited:
So does that mean x^sigma and x^nu are the same vector, in the same coordinate system?

bdforbes said:
So does that mean x^sigma and x^nu are the same vector, in the same coordinate system?

Yes.

1. What is the inverse of a tensor?

The inverse of a tensor is a mathematical operation used to find the reciprocal of a tensor. It allows for the transformation of a tensor into its inverse, which can then be used to solve equations and perform other operations.

2. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as index notation, is a shorthand method for writing and manipulating tensors. It uses indices to represent the components of a tensor, making it easier to perform calculations and express equations.

3. How is the inverse of a tensor found using Einstein notation?

The inverse of a tensor can be found using the Einstein notation by first writing the tensor in index notation. The inverse tensor is then found by swapping the indices and applying the appropriate inverse operations to the components of the original tensor.

4. Why is the inverse of a tensor important?

The inverse of a tensor is important because it allows for the solution of equations involving tensors. It also helps in simplifying and manipulating tensors in various mathematical operations, making it a useful tool in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the inverse of a tensor in Einstein notation?

Yes, there are limitations to using the inverse of a tensor in Einstein notation. It can only be applied to tensors that are square and non-singular, meaning they have a unique inverse. Additionally, the inverse operation can become complex and difficult to perform for higher order tensors.