Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invertibility of Symplectic Matrices

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, All:

The Wikipedia page on symplectic matrices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symplectic_vector_space ,

claims that symplectic matrices are invertible

, i.e., skew-symmetric nxn-

matrix with entries w(b_i,b_j) , satisfying the properties:

i)w(b_i,b_i)=0

ii)w(b_i,b_j)=-w(b_j,b_i)

iii)w(b_i,.)=0 , i.e., w(b_i,b_j)=0 for all b_j

are invertible.

Even for small n , calculating the determinant seems to get out of hand;

Is there an easy way of seeing this?

TIA

Thanks.

iii)w(bi,.)=0 , then bi=0

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Call the matrix of your symplectic form J. Then a matrix A is symplectic (wrt your form) iff A^t J A = J. From this you get (detA)^2 = 1, since det J != 0 (which is because J is coming from nondegenerate bilinear form). In particular, detA=+/-1 is nonzero.

In fact, you can show that detA=1, but this much more difficult...

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of followup questions:

i)AFAIK, symplectic forms and symmetric/quadratic forms represent a generalization of

, I think it was inner-product and maybe the norm or length, maybe even a metric;

anyone know?

TIA.

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, morphism, but I was actually trying to show that J itself is nonsingular; I don't see

how the nondegeneracy condition helps show invertibility. I guess one could choose a basis

{b1,..,bn}, and then set up something like:

w(bi,bj)=biTJbj , where T is the matrix (w_ij:=w(bi,bj)) , for the above choice

of basis {b1,b2,..,bn} and then w(bi,bj)=0 for all bj only if bi=0 . Maybe we can

also set up a symplectic basis {b1',b2',..,bn'} , i.e., a basis so that w(bi',bj')=

δi'j' . But then the result may be basis-dependent.

Any Ideas?

6. Jan 25, 2012 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A symplectic form is a nondegenerate skew-symmetric bilinear form.
    A (real) inner product is a nondegenerate symmetric bilinear form. (Well, it's not just nondegenerate - it's positive-definite.)

The invertibility is basis-independent, because there's an invertible change of basis matrix involved. I.e. if you write A for the matrix of your nondegenerate bilinear form in one basis, and write B for it in another basis, then there will be an invertible matrix S such that A=SBS^{-1}.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook