Inverting Series: Solving for z in Powers of x

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter qbslug
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
qbslug
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
How do you invert a series? Can't find any information on it.
I need to invert a function and solve for z in powers of x

[tex] x = \sum_{n=1}^\infty\\b_n z^n[/tex]

I'm guessing we can just say

[tex] z = \sum_{n=1}^\infty\\a_n x^n[/tex]

But if this is right I don't know why its right or if it can be proven.
I would like to know the general idea behind inverting series functions and why it works.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty darn complicated! Note that the term "reversion" is used since "inversion" could be confused with finding the reciprocal, 1/z.
 
Ok thanks I guess I wasn't getting much information about it because I was referring to it as "inversion"