Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigating the Young's Modulus of certain materials

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    I am investigating the Young's Modulus of certain materials and what factors have an effect on the Young's Modulus of materials.

I am going to be altering the temperature, my hypothesis being that increasing the temperature will lower the E of the materials.

Are there other factors I could investigate that would have an effect?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi calum,
    Yes, increasing temperature will lower E slightly. Conversely, reducing temperature well into the cryogenic range increases E. But it isn't a huge amount. Yield and tensile strength for example, are much more heavily influenced by temperature.

To answer your question, I don't think there's any other factors that affects E other than temperature.

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3
    Ok thanks for your help. You say E is lowered slightly, do you think it would be possible to observe a measurable change in E using quite standard equiptment?

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Attached is a graph of modulus versus temperature for steel, taken from MIL-HDBK-5. As you can see, the modulus changes, and it should be measurable.

Attached Files:

6. Dec 4, 2009 #5
    That's great thanks, really helpful thanks for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook