Investigating the Young's Modulus of certain materials

• Thread starter calum
  • Start date
I am investigating the Young's Modulus of certain materials and what factors have an effect on the Young's Modulus of materials.

I am going to be altering the temperature, my hypothesis being that increasing the temperature will lower the E of the materials.

Are there other factors I could investigate that would have an effect?

Answers and Replies

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi calum,
Yes, increasing temperature will lower E slightly. Conversely, reducing temperature well into the cryogenic range increases E. But it isn't a huge amount. Yield and tensile strength for example, are much more heavily influenced by temperature.

To answer your question, I don't think there's any other factors that affects E other than temperature.

Hi calum,
Yes, increasing temperature will lower E slightly. Conversely, reducing temperature well into the cryogenic range increases E. But it isn't a huge amount. Yield and tensile strength for example, are much more heavily influenced by temperature.

To answer your question, I don't think there's any other factors that affects E other than temperature.

Ok thanks for your help. You say E is lowered slightly, do you think it would be possible to observe a measurable change in E using quite standard equiptment?

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Attached is a graph of modulus versus temperature for steel, taken from MIL-HDBK-5. As you can see, the modulus changes, and it should be measurable.

Attachments

• Modulus Steel.pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 454
Attached is a graph of modulus versus temperature for steel, taken from MIL-HDBK-5. As you can see, the modulus changes, and it should be measurable.

That's great thanks, really helpful thanks for your help :)