Investment for Physics Degree from a foreign country

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between pursuing a career in engineering or following their passion for pure, basic and theoretical physics. They mention receiving advice to do engineering and then pursue a master's in physics from a foreign country, but when they are accepted into the University of Vienna for a BSc. in physics, they are tempted to study abroad. However, the cost of living in Vienna is high and they were not selected for a scholarship. The conversation also mentions the difference between the graduate process in foreign countries and the United States, as well as the speaker's recommendation to study in Germany due to their free education system. Ultimately, the speaker concludes by stating that they are not strongly tempted to study abroad, but it would be a
sodaboy7
I am from India and I am currently studying Electrical Engineering from a good private college( with a considerable CGPA of 8.5). But I was never interested in Engineering. All I wanted to go for was Pure,Basic and theoretical Physics. Many "experienced" people advised me to do engineering and then do masters in Physics from a foreign country. But when my application was accepted by University of Vienna for BSc. Physics, it was irresistible to me. Moreover, my tuition fees would be reimbursed after completion of the program. But then I came to know about cost of living in Vienna and it was very high. So, I applied for a scholarship (along with 1400 other people) but only 300 were selected and unfortunately I was not among them. Now the question is that: Is it worth investing that much amount of money (I mean I will have to take educational loan and other stuff...) for studying Physics from Vienna or to continue what I am doing and then do Masters in Physics. Also, is there any scholarship which can specifically finance my cost of living ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't suggest you to pursue at Uni-Vienna. It seems to be costly and not one of the real great Uni to invest into. Preferably you complete your graduation in engineering and opt for Physics masters at US, scholarships would be easily made available if your score is nice throughout.
But, if you are tempted to study abroad, Physics, I would recommend going to Germany and studying Physics. They have free education system, and the cost you incur is only of living, its high though.
Keep in mind, with a Graduate degree in physics counting from today, after 3 years you won't have a job that pays you as much as an engineer. If you can afford to complete your education in Basic sciences up to Masters abroad, go for it. Else, its better to step aback now.

why stop at the MS especially if you're paying for the privilege? only get graduate study in physics if you get paid for it.

chill_factor said:
why stop at the MS especially if you're paying for the privilege? only get graduate study in physics if you get paid for it.

The graduate process is different for foreign countries than what we have in the United States. Their master's and doctoral programs are separate, where in the U.S (for Physics), we only have a "graduate" program, where you essentially go to get your PhD, and just happen to meet the requirements for a Masters on your way to the PhD.

He probably is unaware of this, as are most foreigners, since it's unique to the U.S.

sodaboy7 said:
Now the question is that: Is it worth investing that much amount of money (I mean I will have to take educational loan and other stuff...) for studying Physics from Vienna or to continue what I am doing and then do Masters in Physics. Also, is there any scholarship which can specifically finance my cost of living ?

Scholarships are rather rare. Try to look at the Austrian consulates nearby.

I do not know anything about your lifestyle and standard of living, but residing in Vienna is not that expensive, especially if you are single and ready to adapt. I have friends that manage to live off ca. 500 euro and some of them even manage to find part-time jobs which helps a lot. Nevertheless, my advice to you would be to finish your degree in India (having in mind the fact that you already enrolled).

How come you already got accepted to Uni Vienna? I thought that the admission for BSc. in physics was unrestricted and that the process starts in June and lasts until September.

anuragkanase said:
I wouldn't suggest you to pursue at Uni-Vienna. It seems to be costly and not one of the real great Uni to invest into. Preferably you complete your graduation in engineering and opt for Physics masters at US, scholarships would be easily made available if your score is nice throughout.
But, if you are tempted to study abroad, Physics, I would recommend going to Germany and studying Physics. They have free education system, and the cost you incur is only of living, its high though.

Hmm, I thought Uni Wien was just as good as most of German universities. Having this guy on the faculty is cool. http://www.quantum.at/zeilinger/

AnTiFreeze3 said:
The graduate process is different for foreign countries than what we have in the United States. Their master's and doctoral programs are separate, where in the U.S (for Physics), we only have a "graduate" program, where you essentially go to get your PhD, and just happen to meet the requirements for a Masters on your way to the PhD.

He probably is unaware of this, as are most foreigners, since it's unique to the U.S.

In my native country there are separate MS and PHD degrees, but both are fully funded. I understand this isn't the case in Europe and India but really there is little point to do grad study in physics without being paid for it. I'm in a funded MS in the US (terminal MS) so I'm relatively lucky, but if this wasn't at least funded, I wouldn't do it.

The only other country I know is US, and that is as you said.

anuragkanase said:
Keep in mind, with a Graduate degree in physics counting from today, after 3 years you won't have a job that pays you as much as an engineer. If you can afford to complete your education in Basic sciences up to Masters abroad, go for it. Else, its better to step aback now.
I m not much tempted to study abroad, I mean its OK here but if given an opportunity it will be great. I am aware of the fact that I won't get a job after three years. Whatever I may go for (engineering of science), it is 100% sure that I will choose a teaching job. I am not at all interested in industrious job with high pay-package. I will be happy as a teacher or a professor.
Plus I checked the websites of some reputed German-universities and I was unable to find the free education system as mentioned by you. Can you just give me link of it ?

lisombt said:
I do not know anything about your lifestyle and standard of living, but residing in Vienna is not that expensive, especially if you are single and ready to adapt. I have friends that manage to live off ca. 500 euro and some of them even manage to find part-time jobs which helps a lot. Nevertheless, my advice to you would be to finish your degree in India (having in mind the fact that you already enrolled).

Thanks for your advice.
I can adapt easily to any lifestyle and I am also ready to have a shared room or dorm. And if in your opinion, Vienna is not that expensive and has a good faculty then why are you suggesting me to finish degree here in India, Can you please elaborate ?

Plus I don't want to stop at MS, I want to continue at least till PHD.

1. How much does it cost to pursue a physics degree from a foreign country?

The cost of pursuing a physics degree from a foreign country can vary greatly depending on the country and specific university you choose. In general, tuition fees for international students tend to be higher than for domestic students. Additionally, you will also need to factor in living expenses, travel costs, and other fees. It is important to thoroughly research the cost of living and tuition fees before making a decision.

2. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for international students pursuing a physics degree abroad?

Yes, there are often scholarships and financial aid options available for international students pursuing a physics degree from a foreign country. These may be offered by the specific university or by external organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on, as they can greatly help with the cost of studying abroad.

3. How does pursuing a physics degree from a foreign country differ from studying in my home country?

Studying for a physics degree from a foreign country can offer a unique and valuable experience. You will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a different culture, meet new people, and gain a global perspective on the subject. However, it may also come with challenges such as adjusting to a new education system and language barriers. It is important to carefully consider these factors before making a decision.

4. Will a physics degree from a foreign country be recognized in my home country?

In most cases, a physics degree from a foreign country will be recognized in your home country. However, it is important to research the accreditation and recognition of the specific university and program you are interested in. You can also consult with your home country's education department to ensure that the degree will be recognized.

5. Can I work while pursuing a physics degree from a foreign country?

This will depend on the specific country and visa regulations. Some countries may allow international students to work part-time while studying, while others may have restrictions. It is important to research the visa requirements and regulations of the country you are interested in studying in. Additionally, you can also look into on-campus job opportunities offered by the university.