Ionic or covalent in tetrahydroxoaluminate ion?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion Ionic
In summary, the tetrahydroxoaluminate ion [Al(OH)_{4}]^- has a covalent bond between aluminium and the four hydroxide ligands. This is because hydroxide ions have a lone pair of electrons and can form a dative covalent bond with the aluminium. This is common in metal complexes, especially with transition metals. The resulting structure is tetrahedral. However, the bond can also be seen as ionic, with aluminium having a +3 charge and the hydroxide ions having a -1 charge. In either case, a complete octet is formed.
Bipolarity
Consider the metal-ligand complex of the tetrahydroxoaluminate ion. [tex][Al(OH)_{4}]^-[/tex]

In this ion, the aluminium is bonded with four hydroxides where each hydroxide is a ligand.

My question:
Is the aluminium-hydroxide bond ionic or covalent?

I can think of the ionic one working in someway like this:

[tex]Al^{+3} + 4(OH)^- \rightarrow [Al(OH)_{4}]^- [/tex]

I can also think of it as being covalent:

[tex]Al + 3(OH) + (OH)^- \rightarrow [Al(OH)_{4}]^- [/tex]

Which would be more "correct"?
Aluminium is a metal, so you would expect it to form ionic bonds right? But I heard of instances where metals form covalent bonds, especially in metal complexes. So I hope I can clear this confusion in my head somehow. Also, will a complete octet be formed in both cases?

Thanks!

BiP

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would go for covalent bonding it seems more appropriate, Hydroxide ions do posses a lone pair of electrons. Hence they can provide both the electrons to form a dative covalent bond.

Metal complexes do commonly form covalent bonds, especially transition metals. the metal complex will form a tetrahedral structure in this case hydroxide ions act as ligands...

http://www.see.murdoch.edu.au/info/student/chemtutorials/equations.html

click on the link and look for equations 27-29

1. What is the difference between ionic and covalent bonding?

Ionic bonding is the attraction between positively and negatively charged ions, while covalent bonding involves the sharing of electron pairs between atoms.

2. How is the tetrahydroxoaluminate ion formed?

The tetrahydroxoaluminate ion is formed when aluminum hydroxide (Al(OH)3) reacts with a base, such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH), to form the Al(OH)4- ion.

3. Is the tetrahydroxoaluminate ion ionic or covalent?

The tetrahydroxoaluminate ion has both ionic and covalent characteristics. The aluminum-oxygen bonds are predominantly covalent, while the aluminum-hydrogen bonds are more ionic in nature.

4. What is the structure of the tetrahydroxoaluminate ion?

The tetrahydroxoaluminate ion has a tetrahedral structure, with the aluminum atom at the center surrounded by four hydroxide ions.

5. What are the properties of the tetrahydroxoaluminate ion?

The tetrahydroxoaluminate ion is highly water-soluble and has a negative charge, giving it the ability to form ionic bonds with positively charged ions. It also has a high melting point and is used in the production of aluminum metal.