Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ionizing a covalently-bonded molecule?

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What happens to a water molecule if it is hit by a high energy electron or photon?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My knowledge of chemistry is very limited, and my guess is that it would be ionized:

[tex]
    e + H_2 O \rightarrow H^+ + OH + 2e
    [/tex]

Here, a high energy electron hits the molecule and releases 1 electron from the H atom, making it a cation. Two electrons appear in the products: 1 from the H along with the original electron.

If something like this were possible, then could a "hydroxide cation" be formed?

[tex]
    e + H_2 O \rightarrow H + OH^+ + 2e
    [/tex]

And if a photon strikes the molecule, how about

[tex]
    \gamma + H_2 O \rightarrow H_2 + O
    [/tex]

(Can water absorb photons?)

I am trying to understand how a covalently-bonded molecule "breaks up" when bombarded with cosmic rays, and would like to know if any of these examples (which contain such a molecule) are plausible. Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

You are reducing water, so the reaction is simply [tex]H_2O+e^- \rightarrow \frac{1}{2}H_2+OH^-[/tex]
    You just can't go and cleave bonds that easily. And for the cosmic rays, I think that everybody can form radical, as many species does in UV light. (Cosmic rays are too powerful I suppose)

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also known as ionizing radiation. There is a lot of information on the web regarding ionizing radiation and it's effects on the water molecule.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook