1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionizing a covalently-bonded molecule?

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What happens to a water molecule if it is hit by a high energy electron or photon?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My knowledge of chemistry is very limited, and my guess is that it would be ionized:

[tex]
    e + H_2 O \rightarrow H^+ + OH + 2e
    [/tex]

Here, a high energy electron hits the molecule and releases 1 electron from the H atom, making it a cation. Two electrons appear in the products: 1 from the H along with the original electron.

If something like this were possible, then could a "hydroxide cation" be formed?

[tex]
    e + H_2 O \rightarrow H + OH^+ + 2e
    [/tex]

And if a photon strikes the molecule, how about

[tex]
    \gamma + H_2 O \rightarrow H_2 + O
    [/tex]

(Can water absorb photons?)

I am trying to understand how a covalently-bonded molecule "breaks up" when bombarded with cosmic rays, and would like to know if any of these examples (which contain such a molecule) are plausible. Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

You are reducing water, so the reaction is simply [tex]H_2O+e^- \rightarrow \frac{1}{2}H_2+OH^-[/tex]
    You just can't go and cleave bonds that easily. And for the cosmic rays, I think that everybody can form radical, as many species does in UV light. (Cosmic rays are too powerful I suppose)

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also known as ionizing radiation. There is a lot of information on the web regarding ionizing radiation and it's effects on the water molecule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook