Iphone Reflection has a pattern

In summary, a person was playing around with the reflections on their office wall and noticed something strange reflected in the light. It seems that the LCD reflective display used in their phone is causing some sort of specular reflection.
OliverFroelich
Hi all! I'm sitting in the office on what would normally be a dive day so I'm slightly over observant.

The sun is coming in heavy through my window, and holding my iPhone I began playing with the reflection on my office wall it produced.

The reflection at first was no different then any light reflection I've seen in the pass, ie. off a watch face, piece of glass, phone etc.

Then I noticed something in the rectangle of light on my wall, that was reflected off my iphone. The rectangle of light seemingly has three connected "H" marks of darker light inside the rectangle.

What is going on here? Internal components the eye can't pick up robing some of the reflected light thru absorption?

Wanted to get a pic but was using my phone to produce the reflection...lol

Thanks everyone and have a beautiful fall!

Science news on Phys.org
Upon reflection my supposition would be that the multiple polarizations involved in producing the LCD reflective display is the culprit. I am unfamiliar with this exact circumstance so will not speculate further about this specular reflection.

Likes OliverFroelich
hutchphd said:
Upon reflection my supposition would be that the multiple polarizations involved in producing the LCD reflective display is the culprit. I am unfamiliar with this exact circumstance so will not speculate further about this specular reflection.
hutchphd said:
Upon reflection my supposition would be that the multiple polarizations involved in producing the LCD reflective display is the culprit. I am unfamiliar with this exact circumstance so will not speculate further about this specular reflection.10
hutchphd said:
Like it! Reading material list updated and thoughts provoked!

1. What is the cause of the pattern seen in iPhone reflection?

The pattern seen in iPhone reflection is caused by the interference of light waves. When light reflects off the smooth surface of the iPhone screen, it undergoes constructive and destructive interference, resulting in the pattern we see.

2. Why does the pattern change when the iPhone is tilted?

The pattern changes when the iPhone is tilted because the angle of reflection changes. This alters the path that the reflected light waves take, resulting in a different interference pattern.

3. Can the pattern in iPhone reflection be predicted?

Yes, the pattern in iPhone reflection can be predicted using the principles of wave interference. By knowing the wavelength of the light and the distance between the screen and the reflective surface, the pattern can be calculated.

4. Does the color of the iPhone affect the pattern in its reflection?

Yes, the color of the iPhone can affect the pattern in its reflection. Different colors have different wavelengths of light, which can result in different interference patterns.

5. Is the pattern in iPhone reflection unique to iPhones only?

No, the pattern seen in iPhone reflection can be observed in any smooth, reflective surface when exposed to light. However, the specific pattern may vary depending on the surface and the light source.