Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IQ, brain power, and brain endurance

Tags:
  1. Dec 15, 2015 #1
    I was thinking about drawbacks to high IQ, and I thought that maybe the increased glucose consumption from more difficult cognitive tasks could be one of those drawbacks. So a smarter brain could be in a way a "gas guzzler", which could leave you with decreased performance afterwards, which could be costly. I can't find any articles that specifically compare IQ with performance in endurance focused cognitive tasks though, so maybe somebody could point me in the right direction

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2015 #2
    I wouldn't worry about that, I'll trade eating an extra slice of bread each day for greater cognitive capacity any day of the week.

Again, this would be very difficult to prove and much to subtle an effect to make any meaningful difference.

It's not clear from that statement exactly what you're looking for. Probably a better question to ask is what is it that you're really interested in knowing?

4. Dec 15, 2015 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This is a popular science article so take it with a pinch of salt and try to find any original studies it mentions (I did a quick search but don't have the time now) but it covers what you're asking:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/thinking-hard-calories/

The long and short of it seems to be that the data is mixed. Some studies show that glucose dips occur during intense mental work but in others this isn't seen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook