1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Irreducibility and finite fields

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    33cou48.jpg

Trying to do i) and iii) on this past exam paper

For part i) I'm pretty stumped

I've said that the possible roots of the polynomial are +- all the factors of T

In particular rt(T) needs to be a factor of T but this can't be possible?

Doesn't sound too good but its the best I've got.

Part iii) I know this means that every element in K is seperable over k, i.e that the minimal polynomials of elements in K are seperable, where they have no repeated roots.

Not sure how to apply this though..

Maybe K = k(rt(T))

so the minimal polynomial of K is X^2 - T which has repeated root rt(T) so it is inseperable?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2
    For part i:

[STRIKE]Because this is a finite field, you must show that the polynomial g(X) has no roots in k. Because k is a finite field of 2 elements, you can just try plugging in 0 and 1 because k = {0,1}.

So g(X) is irreducible if and only if 0^2-T is not equal to zero and 1^2-T is not equal to zero. Since T is an extended element onto k and is therefore not equal to either 0 or 1, which is what we need to make the above two equations equal to zero, I think that we can safely draw our conclusion. What do you think?[/STRIKE]

edit: i'm dumb. i'll rethink this.

4. Apr 20, 2010 #3
    isn't k = {0, 1, T, 1+T} since k = {a + bT | a, b in {0,1}}

Otherwise I see what you mean. Thanks for the reply

5. Apr 20, 2010 #4
    yeah you're completely right and i noticed my mistake right after i posted that. i overlooked the whole extended element thing. my bad.

6. Apr 21, 2010 #5
    bump for confirmation

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook