1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Galois extension based on degree of extension

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If Char(K) = 0 and [L:K]=2, is L:K a galois extension?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My gut is saying yes because if [L:K]=2 then it seems that any polynomial in K[x] with a root in L should split in L[x]. Something about how some hypothetical minimal polynomial of some element m call it m(x) where L[x] is isomorphic to the quotient field K[x]/m(x), then K(u) is isomorphic to L where given the conditions that [L:K] =2 then deg(m(x)) = 2 and so if L has one of the roots of m(x) then that means that m(x) factors linearly because it only has degree 2 and thus all the roots are in L thus the extension is normal. Am I leaving anything important out?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I've thought along the same lines. More formal we can choose an element ##u \in L-K##. Then ##\{1,u\}## is ##K-##linear independent and ##\{1,u,u^2\}## is not. This means we can write ##u^2=\alpha \cdot 1 + \beta \cdot u## which means ##u## is a root of ##x^2- \beta x - \alpha##.
    Now we can write down both solutions ##u## and ##v## and see that ##v \in K(u)##, i.e. our minimal polynomial splits and is separable. (Why?)

4. Nov 27, 2016 #3
    Our minimal polynomial is separable because K is given to have Characteristic 0, and our minimal polynomial splits because both of it's roots are in K(u). Thanks!

5. Nov 27, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

One can also see it directly: If ##u## were a double root, then ##u=-\frac{\beta}{2} \in K## which we ruled out. And with ##u=-\frac{\beta}{2}-\sqrt{sth.}\, , \,v=-\frac{\beta}{2}+\sqrt{sth.}## we get ##v=-u-\beta \in K(u)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted