1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducibility of a polynomial by eisenstein and substitution

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show [tex]16x^4 = 8x^3 - 16x^2 - 8x + 1[/tex] is irreducible.

2. Relevant equations

Eisenstein's criteria, if there is n s.t. n does not divide the leading coefficient, divides all the other coefficients, and n^2 does not divide the last coefficient then the polynomial is irreducible (over the rationals)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to say that consider [tex]p'(x) = p(\frac{1}{2}x) = x^4 + x^3 - 4x^2 - 4x + 1 [/tex] is irreducible by eisenstein if we use the standard trick of substituting x+1 -> x, then we get, [tex]x^4+5x^3+5x^2-5x-5[/tex] where eisenstein is immediate. What I don't know is that if I can then say that since p' is irreducible, then p is.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This should be [tex]16x^2+ 8x^4- 16x^2- 8x+ 1[/itex]

p(x) is reducible if and only if p(x)= a(x)b(x) for polynomials a and b of lower degree than p. In that case p(x/2)= a(x/2)b(x/2) so, yes, if p(x) is reducible so is p(x/2). And, then, if p(x/2) is irreducible, so is p(x).

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3
    First of all, thank you for your help!

That makes sense. I was stuck because I had a counter example that in general one cannot make substitutions; for example, p(u) = u^2 + 8u + 36 is irreducible over Q, but under the substitution, [t^2 -> u] p(t) splits into quadratic factors. So perhaps, is it possible to claim that any linear substitution over the single variable will be acceptable (i.e. [a*x + b -> x])?

Is there a theory that deals with substitutions in the abstract sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook