1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 irreducible over Q[x]

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine if 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 irreducible over Q[x]

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss's Lemma, Eisenstein Criterion

3. The attempt at a solution

If we multiply g(x)=1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 by 2^3, and then make the substitution y=(2*x), we recover a monic polynomial: h(y) = 8+32y-12y^3+y^4, but Eisenstein does not apply. h(y+/-1) doesn't help either. h(y) is of fourth degree, so it doesn't even suffice to check for absence of roots. But, I do know that if irreducibility in Z is shown, irreducibility over Q follows, for suppose such an f(x) is reducible over Q. Then, by Gauss's Lemma, there exists a nontrivial factorization of f(x) over Z into monic polynomials, but if f(x) is irreducible over Z, this is a contradiction. Thus, f(x) must be irreducible over Q.

Still, I have tried many things, so any help is appereciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure h(y+/-1) doesn't satisfy Eisenstein's criterion? It sure looks like they do to me.

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply:

The constant term in h(y+1) is 29, a prime, and 29|\ all other coefficients. That of h(y-1) is 11, another prime which does not divide any other coefficeints. Thus, I don't think we can use Eisenstein Criterion.

However, if we consider b(x) = x^4*g(1/x) we obtain: b(x) = 2 -12x + 8x^3 + x^4, and we can use Eisenstein with p=2 here QED

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right. I misremembered the Eisenstein Criterion. And, yeah, that's a good idea!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook