Finding the roots of a fourth degree polynomial

In summary, the conversation discussed a method for finding the roots of the polynomial x^4 - 6x^2 - 2 using the quadratic formula. The conversation also mentioned the use of Wolfram for checking the solutions and questioned if there was a simpler or more standard method for finding the roots. The use of the quadratic formula was deemed fast and efficient, with the only additional time being spent on finding the square roots.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Find the roots of x^4 - 6x^2 - 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my first observation is that this polynomial is irreducible by Eisenstein criterion with p=2. If I substitute y=x^2 then this polynomial becomes a quadratic, and I can apply the quadratic equation to get two solutions for y. Then could I take the +/- of the square root of these solutions to get the roots in terms of x? If so, is there a simpler way to find these roots? Thanks PF!

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Find the roots of x^4 - 6x^2 - 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my first observation is that this polynomial is irreducible by Eisenstein criterion with p=2. If I substitute y=x^2 then this polynomial becomes a quadratic, and I can apply the quadratic equation to get two solutions for y. Then could I take the +/- of the square root of these solutions to get the roots in terms of x? If so, is there a simpler way to find these roots? Thanks PF!
I find this method pretty fast. The check whether it gives the correct answer has been longer than to write down the solution. And the square roots have to appear somewhere. What do you have in mind?

Likes PsychonautQQ and soniys
fresh_42 said:
I find this method pretty fast. The check whether it gives the correct answer has been longer than to write down the solution. And the square roots have to appear somewhere. What do you have in mind?
What do you mean the square roots have to appear somewhere? Yes, the check whether it gives a correct answer seems to be longer, but I could use Wolfram. I don't have any other methods in mind to solve the roots of this polynomial, I was just wondering if there was a more standard/methodical method I could use.

PsychonautQQ said:
What do you mean the square roots have to appear somewhere? Yes, the check whether it gives a correct answer seems to be longer, but I could use Wolfram. I don't have any other methods in mind to solve the roots of this polynomial, I was just wondering if there was a more standard/methodical method I could use.
Well, ##y^2 + px +q = 0## let's us directly write ##y_{1,2}=-\frac{p}{2}\pm \sqrt{(\frac{p}{2})^2 - q}## which yields ##x_{1,2,3,4} = \pm (\sqrt{3 \pm \sqrt{11}})##.
I meant ##\sqrt{11}## and ##\sqrt{3\pm \sqrt{11}}## have to be found somehow. So any other method has to output them and I cannot think of any faster method.

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
##\sqrt{3\pm \sqrt{11}}##

Are these not all four roots we were looking for? With +/- at the beginning of course.

PsychonautQQ said:
Are these not all four roots we were looking for? With +/- at the beginning of course.
Yes, and that's why I found it rather short and fast.

Likes PsychonautQQ

1. How do you find the roots of a fourth degree polynomial?

To find the roots of a fourth degree polynomial, you can use the quartic formula or Ferrari's method. These methods involve solving a complex equation to find the values of x that make the polynomial equal to zero.

2. What is the quartic formula?

The quartic formula is a mathematical equation used to find the roots of a fourth degree polynomial. It involves taking the coefficients of the polynomial and plugging them into a formula to solve for the values of x. This formula was first derived by Italian mathematician Lodovico Ferrari in the 16th century.

3. What is Ferrari's method?

Ferrari's method is an alternative way to find the roots of a fourth degree polynomial. It is a more efficient method compared to the quartic formula and involves solving a simpler equation. This method is also attributed to Lodovico Ferrari.

4. Can a fourth degree polynomial have more than four roots?

No, a fourth degree polynomial can only have four roots. This is because the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots. Therefore, a fourth degree polynomial can have at most four complex roots.

5. How do you know if a fourth degree polynomial has real roots?

A fourth degree polynomial will have real roots if the discriminant of its quadratic term is greater than or equal to zero. If the discriminant is less than zero, the polynomial will have four complex roots. If the discriminant is equal to zero, the polynomial will have two real roots and two complex roots.