Is $17-$18 an Hour Enough for a Chemistry Graduate with Research Experience?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thewall12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Salary
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
thewall12
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm graduating with a BSc in Chemistry and I've got a couple years academic research experience but no industrial. I'm applying for a lot of Chem I/Lab Tech jobs and I'm planning on requesting between $17 and $18 an hour. Is this too much/too little?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably too much. Depends on how good you are, where you are applying, what you'll be doing, where the area is, the type of company, the type of competition... etc etc etc.
 
I have no actual facts, but I really hope that $34-36K per year isn't considered too much.
 
Don't mention anything about salary until they give you an offer with a number. If they ask how much you want, say "negotiable" or "I would consider any serious offer that you make." Also, go to a site like glassdoor.com or salary.com and look at what salaries the market offers for those types of position. For a chemist I position, sounds like what you're asking might be at the lower end of the range. But as zhermes said, there are a lot of factors to consider.
 
and remember, you also need to consider taxes.