Is 30 too old to start an engineering career?

In summary, it is not too late to start a career at 30 after obtaining a masters degree in nano science, especially if the individual is proficient and diligent. Life does not end at 30 and there is still plenty of time to work and advance in a chosen field. Additionally, older candidates may bring a level of maturity and different perspective that can impress interviewers.
One-Question
If someone studies engineering physics, nd agets his masters degree in nano science at 30? Will it be too late to start his career?

Physics news on Phys.org
One-Question said:
If someone studies engineering physics, nd agets his masters degree in nano science at 30? Will it be too late to start his career?
No - especially if one is proficient and diligent.

Astronuc said:
No - especially if one is proficient and diligent.

What if you spent 5 years in a deep depression doing nothing? If you cleaned toilets for 6 months its okay? Cause you show that you want to work?

One-Question said:

I hope not. I am 32 and just got by BS/MS in ME and have an interview on Wednesday :eek:

But seriously, I went on a lot of interviews during school for co-ops (internships) and many of the interviewers said that they are often more impressed by the level of maturity older candidates can bring to the table. We also usually have a different perspective on things seeing as we usually have some 'life experience' under our belt.

Anyway, good luck and keep your head up! I can assure you it is never too late! :smile:

One-Question said:

Why would it be too late to start your career? Life doesn't end when you turn thirty.

As to your other question, it won't matter too much what you did before your degree. It might come up in conversation, but it won't hurt you if you took a few years to figure out what you really wanted to do with your life.

Many of my classmates (EE undergrad) are in their 30s (or approaching/leaving it). Most of them navy but some professionals wishing to get degrees or move onto design level jobs (i.e electrician to EE).

Why would that be too late to start any career? You don't retire until 65 (and that might be older by the time we all get there with the way things are changing), so starting at 30 still leaves you with 35 years to work and advance in that field. Even if others have a 9 year head start on you, surely it's better to lag 9 years behind the younger folks than to spend another 35 years doing something you don't enjoy.

Saladsamurai said:
I hope not. I am 32 and just got by BS/MS in ME and have an interview on Wednesday :eek:

But seriously, I went on a lot of interviews during school for co-ops (internships) and many of the interviewers said that they are often more impressed by the level of maturity older candidates can bring to the table. We also usually have a different perspective on things seeing as we usually have some 'life experience' under our belt.

Anyway, good luck and keep your head up! I can assure you it is never too late! :smile:

I hope not too! I am 34 and just about to start second year of Mechanical / Mechatronics Eng. My marks this time around are so far ahead of my first attempt at study too, most likely due to the maturity aspect that you mentioned.

1. Is 30 too old to start a career in engineering?

No, 30 is not too old to start a career in engineering. Many successful engineers have started their careers later in life. What matters most is your dedication, passion, and ability to learn and adapt.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to younger engineers?

While you may not have as much experience as younger engineers, your life experience and maturity can actually be an advantage in your engineering career. You may also have transferable skills from other industries that can benefit your engineering work.

3. Will it be difficult to find a job as a 30-year-old engineer?

The job market for engineers is generally strong, and many companies value diverse perspectives and experiences in their workforce. There may be some challenges in finding your first engineering job, but with determination and perseverance, you can find opportunities that are a good fit for you.

4. Will I have to go back to school to start an engineering career at 30?

It depends on your previous education and experience. If you have a degree in a related field, you may be able to find entry-level engineering positions without additional schooling. However, if you do not have a degree in engineering, you may need to go back to school to obtain the necessary qualifications and knowledge.

5. What steps should I take to start an engineering career at 30?

First, research the different types of engineering and determine which field interests you the most. Then, consider obtaining a degree in that field or gaining relevant experience through internships or entry-level positions. Networking with professionals in the industry and staying up-to-date with current technologies and practices can also help you in your career transition.