Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a 1 degree rotation of a point possible?

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    Let's say the center of a circle on a graph is (0,0), and the point at the circumference is (-7,24).

Do you think it is possible to find a point that is not on the lattice point using a 1 degree rotation?

^By that I mean if it is possible to do a 1 degree rotation of the point to find a nonlattice point.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. You have a circle with center at (0, 0) and (-7, 24) is on the circumference (so the equation of the circle is [itex]x^2+ y^2= 625[/itex]). You then ask "is it possible to find a point that is not on the lattice point using a 1 degree rotation?"

What lattice point? What lattice? Do you mean the lattice of points (x, y) where x and y are both integer? Or the lattice of points (x,y) where x and y are both rational? Or some other lattice?
    Are you asking "Does there exist an integer n such that both [itex]25 cos(n)[/itex] and [itex]25 sin(n)[/itex] are integer (or rational)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook