Is a Major in Astrophysics with a CS Minor a Good Choice?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
numbersloth
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'm considering getting a major in astrophysics and a minor in computer science. First of all, would an astrophysics major preclude me from studying, say, particle particle physics, in graduate school? I want to take a couple astro classes and my parents think astrophysics sounds "smarter" than physics... Not important but still their opinion counts!

I think a CS minor would be helpful since astrophysics is basically all simulations, data mining, working with image data, etc.

Would this be employable or am I dreaming? I either want to major in astrophysics w/ cs minor or double major in physics and math. Which one is better for grad school? Which one is more employable?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
numbersloth said:
Would this be employable or am I dreaming?

Of course it is

numbersloth said:
I either want to major in astrophysics w/ cs minor or double major in physics and math. Which one is better for grad school? Which one is more employable?

Physics and math is a bit more broad which means you'll have more opportunities but also more competition. If you enjoy astrophysics then study astrophysics.