1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a W or a C worse for a gen Ed?

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    I'm a sophomore physics major finishing up my last gen. Ed requirement, for this one I picked Jazz History because it sounded interesting and fulfilled the last requirement. I have As on my writing assignments, but tests and quizzes are all multiple choice about names and dates, which it turns out I'm awful at keeping straight. I have a C/D+ average for the midterm and quizzes, which are a little over half the grade, so I'm on track to get a C, maybe a C+ if I'm lucky. I'm doing great in all my other major-related classes, knock on wood, so the rest isn't an issue, it's just this one gen-ed. The withdraw date is coming up next week, and I'm wondering if it would be better for grad schools to get the C and be done, or withdraw and save my GPA and just take a different gen ed over the winter or next semester. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2
    It is probably better not to drop.

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Only my opinion, but a course on Jazz History is not important for your major field of study. C is the lowest grade you want, and is better than a W just because it would be some acceptable credit. If you drop and get W, then make a better choice about your next try at the needed general education requirement.

5. Oct 14, 2015 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Given that you're having difficulty with this general education class, what is the probability that you will struggle with another that you take over the winter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook