1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Language for an Applied Physics major

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    I just started at my four year university, after doing my AA at a community college simply to save some money and get my gen ed requirements out of the way as much as I could. However, the university I started at has a language requirement in order to graduate. I only have to take 2 semesters, thankfully, but I'm not sure what to take. I figure since I have to take a language, I might as well take one that will help the most after graduation. Granted, it is only my Bachelor's degree, but it's the start of my career. So my question is, what language would you recommend I take?

I'd like to take Japanese, but I'm not sure how much that will really help me once I graduate. I read somewhere else that Arabic is a good language to have if you are planning on going into the government sector, and that German is an all over useful one for a Physics major. However, I would think French, Spanish, Hindi and Chinese would be useful too. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on where you decide to live and work - if it is western Europe you should learn German or French. If you plan to work in Brazil you should learn Portuguese. Many European physicists speak three or more languages.

Whatever you study now will be useful in the future. You will have to choose from the courses available at your school - so start with that list and then map them to your future career.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook