Is any constant vector field conservative?

• Thread starter Caio Graco
  • Start date
Is a constant vector field like F = kj conservative? Since the work of F for any closed path is null it seems that F is conservative but for a force to be conservative two conditions must be satisfied:

a) The force must be a function of the position.
b) The circulation of force is zero.

My question is about the first condition. For the given vector field I believe that there is no dependence on the position, because the field does not depend on any of the x, y, or z coordinates. And if so, the given field is non-conservative. The relation of this doubt with the Physics is given as far as the uniform gravitational field or electric.

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
For the given vector field I believe that there is no dependence on the position, because the field does not depend on any of the x, y, or z coordinates. And if so, the given field is non-conservative.
I think that rule has been mis-stated above. The correct statement is that force can only depend on position. That is, it cannot depend on anything else, such as velocity.

A spatially-constant field in flat space-time depends only on position. The dependence is the function that maps every point in space to the same force vector. It gets a bit more complex when spacetime is curved, because then it no longer makes sense to talk about the force being the same at two different points.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Just to add to #2, it is relatively easy to show that being conservative is equivalent to being curl free. Clearly a constant field has zero curl.

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Is a constant vector field like F = kj conservative? Since the work of F for any closed path is null it seems that F is conservative but for a force to be conservative two conditions must be satisfied:

My question is about the first condition. For the given vector field I believe that there is no dependence on the position, because the field does not depend on any of the x, y, or z coordinates. And if so, the given field is non-conservative. The relation of this doubt with the Physics is given as far as the uniform gravitational field or electric.
A constant function is still a function. What condition a) means is that it does not change over time. If a vector field is, say, diminishing over time, then it not conservative.

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

If ##{\bf F} = \langle a,b,c \rangle##is a constant field (with ##x,y,z##-components ##a,b,c## then ##{\bf F} = \nabla V,## where ##V = ax+by+cz.## Any field of the form ##\nabla V## is conservative.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Ok, it has been given in bits and pieces already, but not explicitly so let me summarise.

The following three statements about a vector field ##\vec v## are equivalent (as long as time independence holds):
  1. ##\vec v## has a scalar potential ##\phi## such that ##\vec v = - \nabla\phi##.
  2. ##\vec v## is conservative, i.e., $$\oint_\Gamma \vec v \cdot d\vec x = 0$$ for all closed curves ##\Gamma##.
  3. ##\vec v## is curl free, i.e., ##\nabla \times \vec v = 0##.
It is rather easy to show that these are equivalent. 2 and 3 are directly related to the curl theorem, 1 directly implies 3 since ##\nabla \times \nabla\phi = 0## regardless of ##\phi##, and using 2 you can easily construct an explicit potential, thereby implying 1.

vanhees71

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
3. is only equivalent of the domain of the vector field is simply connected.

The paradigmatic counter example is the "potential vortex"

$$\vec{V}=A \begin{pmatrix} -y \\ x \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \frac{1}{x^2+y^2}.$$
It's easy to see that everywhere, where ##\vec{V}## is well defined (i.e., everywhere except along the ##z## axis) is curl free but that any loop around the ##z## axis gives ##2 \pi A \neq 0##.

You can find a potential in any simply connected part of the domain, i.e., in ##\mathbb{R}^3## minus one arbitrary half-plane with the ##z## axis as boundary.